Alexey Frolov mainly handles natural resources transactions, including those pertaining to the oil & gas industry. He is recommended by leading legal directories — including Chambers and PLC Which lawyer? — and has been cited by his peers and clients for his fluent knowledge of natural resources law. Before joining the Firm in 2000, Mr. Frolov worked for an international oil company in Central Asia. He has also written articles for Financier Worldwide, Eastern Europe Reporter and Oil & Gas Law Journal.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Alliance Mining Group in connection with a proposed contribution of Amur Zoloto LLC, an established gold company with production and development assets in the Khabarovsk region in the Far East of Russia, into the share capital of Petropavlovsk PLC. The aggregate value of the gross consideration payable on closing is approximately USD144 million.
- Advised the Alltech group on establishment of the joint venture (JV) with the RN-Gas LLC (a company of the Rosneft group) in connection with proposed implementation of “Pechora LNG” project in Nenets Autonomous District. Exploration and production licenses for Kumzhinskoye and Korovinskoye fields were contributed to the JV in addition to funds necessary for the project development.
- Advised ArcelorMittal, the world’s leading steel and mining company, on the sale of its entire interest in the Kuzbass coal mines in the Kemerovo Oblast, Russia, to Russia’s National Fuel Company.
- Advised Weatherford on the USD500 million sale of its land drilling and workover assets in Russia and Venezuela to Rosneft, Russia’s leading oil company.
- Advised the shareholders of Alliance Oil Company on a joint venture with Nezavisimaya Neftegazovaya Kompaniya (NNK). The two companies have set up an energy joint venture in which the shareholders of Alliance Oil hold a 60 percent stake and NNK the remainder.
- Advised Yamal Development LLC, a 50/50 joint venture between Novatek and Gazprom Neft, on a USD2.94 billion acquisition of a 60 percent equity stake in Artic Russia from Eni. Artic Russia owns a 49 percent interest in SeverEnergia, a Russian oil and gas company operating in the Yamal-Nenets region.
- Advised Novatek on a share swap with Rosneft, whereby Novatek’s 51 percent interest in Sibneftegas was swapped for Rosneft’s 40 percent share in Artic Russia.
- Advised Weatherford on the sale of its 38.5 percent equity interest in Borets International Limited, a leading manufacturer of oilfield equipment, to Borets and Tangent Fund Limited. The aggregate purchase price for the sale was USD400 million.
- Advised Alliance Oil Company on its issue of preference shares worth a minimum of SEK675 million (approx. USD100 million) and a maximum of SEK1,350 million (approx. USD200 million). The company’s shares, through depository receipts, trade on NASDAQ OMX Stockholm.
- Advised Alliance Oil Company on the establishment of a joint venture with Repsol Exploración for exploration and production in Russia having a total asset base of approx. USD840 million, with Alliance and Repsol holding 51 percent and 49 percent stakes, respectively.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Russia (2000)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (2006)
- Moscow State Law Academy (LL.B. Honors) (2000)
- Moscow Linguistic University (B.A. Honors) (1995)