Alexey Frolov mainly handles natural resources transactions, including those pertaining to the oil & gas and mining industry. He is recommended by leading legal directories including Chambers and Legal 500 EMEA - and has been cited by his peers and clients for his fluent knowledge of natural resources law. Before joining the Firm in 2000, Mr. Frolov worked for an international oil company in Central Asia. He has also written articles for Financier Worldwide, Eastern Europe Reporter and Oil & Gas Law Journal.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the Alltech group on establishment of the joint venture (JV) with the RN-Gas LLC (a company of the Rosneft group) in connection with proposed implementation of “Pechora LNG” project in Nenets Autonomous District. Exploration and production licenses for Kumzhinskoye and Korovinskoye fields were contributed to the JV in addition to funds necessary for the project development.
- Advised the shareholders of Alliance Oil Company on a joint venture with Nezavisimaya Neftegazovaya Kompaniya (NNK). The two companies have set up an energy joint venture in which the shareholders of Alliance Oil hold a 60% stake and NNK the remainder.
- Advised Yamal Development LLC, a 50/50 joint venture between Novatek and Gazprom Neft, on a USD 2.94 billion acquisition of a 60% equity stake in Artic Russia from Eni. Artic Russia owns a 49% interest in SeverEnergia, a Russian oil and gas company operating in the Yamal-Nenets region.
- Advised Alliance Oil Company on the establishment of a joint venture with Repsol Exploración for exploration and production in Russia having a total asset base of approx. USD 840 million, with Alliance and Repsol holding 51% and 49% stakes, respectively.
- Advised PAO Severstal in connection with the sale of its subsidiary - AO "Severstal Long Product Mill Balakovo", to Abinsk Electric Steel Works, Ltd. The value of the deal amounts to USD 215 million.
- Advised the borrower, Alliance Altyn, in connection with attracting a USD 180 million project financing from VTB Bank for the construction of mining facilities and processing plant at Jerooy gold ore deposit in the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Represented Kopy Goldfields AB, a Swedish public gold exploration company, operating in the Irkutsk region in Russia, in connection with the establishment of joint ventures for the purposes of exploration of gold deposits at several subsoil plots in the Far East, Russia.
- Advised PAO Severstal in connection with an acquisition of debt obligations as well as loan collateral of Yakovlevsky mine from Gazprombank.
- Advised Repsol S.A. in connection with establishment of an upstream joint venture with Gazprom Neft. The joint venture company, Eurotek Yugra, owned 75% by Repsol and 25% by Gazprom Neft, owns seven exploratory blocks in West Siberia, a relatively underexplored area of Russia with significant potential. Following completion, Gazprom Neft has an option to increase its stake in Eurotek Yugra to 50%.
- Leading individual in Energy & Natural Resources: Mining in Russia, Chambers Europe
- Recommended in Energy & Natural Resources in Russia, Chambers Europe, Legal 500 EMEA
- Highly regarded in Energy and infrastructure, M&A, Project development, IFLR1000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Russia (2000)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (2006)
- Moscow State Law Academy (LL.B. Honors) (2000)
- Moscow Linguistic University (B.A. Honors) (1995)
Alexey has contributed articles concerning the legal aspects of oil, gas and mining industry sectors to numerous publications and has spoken on many international and national forums and conferences.
Co-author, "New Opportunities for Renewable Energy in Russia," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, May 2020