Francisco's practice focuses on international investment and commercial arbitration. He has represented states and corporations in complex international arbitrations under various rules, including: ICC, LCIA, ICSID and UNCITRAL. Francisco is admitted to practice law in Mexico and New York. Before joining Baker McKenzie in Mexico City, Francisco worked for top tier international arbitration firms in Paris, London and New York.
Francisco's work in the past years has mainly focused on investor-state arbitrations related to various sectors such as mining, oil & gas, infrastructure and construction. In a recent matter, Francisco helped a Canadian gold mining corporation obtain a USD 1.4 billion arbitral award against a South American state. He has also defended an East African government in a multimillion-dollar construction arbitration related to a highway.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a gold mining corporation against a Latin American State in an arbitration challenging the expropriation of the company's rights over one of the world's largest gold deposits.
- Represented a consortium of water treatment companies against a South American country in the damages stage of an ICSID arbitration over the mistreatment of the companies' investments.
- Represented an East African government in a major highway construction dispute with a Japanese company.
- Represented a construction company in a case against a Middle Eastern country over the government's unlawful interference in a power plant construction project awarded to the client.
- Advised a Cypriot group of companies in a dispute against an Eastern European country over the country's politically motivated harassment campaign against the group's investments.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company against a Latin American State in an UNCITRAL/PCA arbitration over the misconduct of the state's judiciary and other authorities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, International Section's International Arbitration Committee - Vice Chair
- New York~United States (2015)
- Mexico (2009)
- Columbia University School of Law (LL.M.) (2013)
- Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva (Master International Dispute Settlement) (2011)
- Universidad Iberoamericana (LL.B.) (2009)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.