Representative Legal Matters
- Conducted internal investigations and risk assessments for US and European companies in various countries including Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
- Obtained declinations from the DOJ for US companies in FCPA investigations into allegations of bribery in Nigeria and Kazakhstan.
- Successfully represented clients in proceedings before Interpol and obtained cancellation of Red Notices for them.
- Served as adviser to a former prime minister of an East European country in the largest corruption case in the country's history.
- Obtained a declination from DOJ for an individual under investigation as an unregistered foreign agent in violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
- Advised the governments of Romania and Ukraine on anti-corruption reforms.
- Represented three Swiss banks in the US DOJ amnesty program.
- Served as US support lawyer for a European monitor in connection with Deferred Prosecution Agreement with DOJ.
Representative Matters with DOJ
- Served as lead US prosecutor in the extradition of a Russian government official facing charges of money laundering.
- Prosecuted a 30-defendant Eastern European organized crime case.
- Superior Honor Award, US Department of State, 2010 and 2004
- Special Award for Advancing US-Russian Cooperation in Antitrust Enforcement, presented by Russian Federal Anti-Monopoly Service, 2010
- Best Professor Award, Pericles American Business Law Education Project, Moscow, awarded for class on "Corporate and White Collar Crime," 2009-2010
- American Bar Association Section of International Law Award for Best Stand-Alone Program, 'Resolution of Russia-Related Business Disputes: The Next Wave," September 2009
- Outstanding Performance Award, US Department of Justice, 2008, 2009
- Award for Advancing US-Russian Cooperation, Moscow Oblast Advocates Chamber, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Council on Foreign Relations - Member
- U.S.-Russia Foundation - Member of Board of Directors
- U.S.-Kyrgyzstan Business Council - Chairman
- U.S.-Tajikistan Business Council - Secretary - Treasurer
- America Uzbekistan Chamber of Commerce - Board Member
- EurasiaNet.Org - Member of Advisory Board
- District of Columbia (2018)
- New York (1994)
- Harvard Law School (J.D. Cum Laude) (1993)
- University of California at Berkeley (M.A. Soviet & East European Politics) (1987)
- Harvard College (B.A. Slavic Languages and Literature Magna Cum Laude with Highest Honors) (1986)
- Catholic University of Lublin (Certificate) (2018)
- Varia Language School, Krakow, Poland (Certificate Summer Language Program) (2016)
- Varia Language School, Krakow, Poland (Certificate) (2015)
- Rolang Romanian Language School, Bucharest, Romania (Certificate Intensive Summer Program) (2017)
Co-author, "Two to Tango: Attacking the Demand Side of Bribery," The American Interest, 17 December 2018
Co-author, The Global Magnitsky Act, Criminal Law Forum, 2018
Panelist, “FARA: A new era?,” Baker McKenzie Seminar, Washington, DC, 28 June 2018
Panelist, "Supply Chain Risks & Rewards in Emerging Markets," Baker McKenzie Seminar, Washington, DC, 15 March 2018
Moderator, "Corruption and Reform in Romania," Baker & McKenzie Seminar, Washington, DC, 13 January 2017