Representative Legal Matters
Conducted internal investigations and risk assessments for US and European companies in various countries including Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
Obtained declinations from the DOJ for US companies in FCPA investigations into allegations of bribery in Nigeria and Kazakhstan.
Negotiated 65 million USD plea agreement on behalf of large Asian engineering company in connection with fraud in US Department of Defense contract.
Successfully represented clients in proceedings before Interpol and obtained cancellation of Red Notices for them.
Served as adviser to a former prime minister of an East European country in the largest corruption case in the country's history.
Obtained a declination from DOJ for an individual under investigation as an unregistered foreign agent in violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
Advised the governments of Romania and Ukraine on anti-corruption reforms.
Represented three Swiss banks in the US DOJ amnesty program.
Served as US support lawyer for a European monitor in connection with Deferred Prosecution Agreement with DOJ.
Advised companies on legal risks and compliance in the global cannabis market.
- Superior Honor Award, US Department of State, 2010 and 2004
- Special Award for Advancing US-Russian Cooperation in Antitrust Enforcement, presented by Russian Federal Anti-Monopoly Service, 2010
- Best Professor Award, Pericles American Business Law Education Project, Moscow, awarded for class on "Corporate and White Collar Crime," 2009-2010
- American Bar Association Section of International Law Award for Best Stand-Alone Program, 'Resolution of Russia-Related Business Disputes: The Next Wave," September 2009
- Outstanding Performance Award, US Department of Justice, 2008, 2009
- Award for Advancing US-Russian Cooperation, Moscow Oblast Advocates Chamber, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Council on Foreign Relations - Member
- U.S.- Russia Foundation - Director; Chair, Nomination and Governance
- Center for European Policy Analysis - Director
- Integrity Initiatives International - Director
- U.S.- Kyrgyzstan Business Council - Immediate past Chairman
- U.S.- Tajikistan Business Council - Immediate past Secretary - Treasurer
- America Uzbekistan Chamber of Commerce - Board Member
- EurasiaNet.Org - Director
- District of Columbia (2018)
- New York (1994)
- Harvard Law School (J.D. Cum Laude) (1993)
- University of California at Berkeley (M.A. Soviet & East European Politics) (1987)
- Harvard College (B.A. Slavic Languages and Literature Magna Cum Laude with Highest Honors) (1986)
- Catholic University of Lublin (Certificate) (2018)
- Varia Language School, Krakow, Poland (Certificate Summer Language Program) (2016)
- Varia Language School, Krakow, Poland (Certificate) (2015)
- Rolang Romanian Language School, Bucharest, Romania (Certificate Intensive Summer Program) (2017)
- Author, "Virus, 'Tiger King' Point to Need for Wildlife Trafficking Law" Law360, June 11, 2020
- Author, "COVID and Marijuana Legalization: Lessons of History" Benzinga, May 8, 2020
- Author, "DOJ Should Issue No Action Letters For Marijuana Industry" Law360, May 1, 2020
- Author, "Protecting Against Corruption In State Cannabis Licensing" Law360, October 29, 2019
- Author, "Legal Risk and Opportunity in the Cannabis Industry: What Every Director Needs to Know," NACD Directorship Magazine, NACDonline.org, September 2019