Representative Legal Matters
Served as Global Compliance Counsel to major international company under monitorship pursuant to DOJ/SEC settlement for FCPA violations
Conducted internal investigations and risk assessments for US and European companies in various countries including Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, China, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Nigeria, Pakistan, Paraguay, Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan, and represented companies before DOJ and SEC in connection with many of these matters.
Negotiated 65 million USD plea agreement on behalf of large Asian engineering company in connection with fraud in US Department of Defense contract.
Led major investigation for US pharmaceutical company into possible improper payments to healthcare professionals.
Represented an FBI agent in the Durham investigation into the origins of the Trump Russia investigation.
Represented a former US Ambassador under investigation by the DOJ National Security Division.
Obtained cancellations of Red Notices for clients in Interpol proceedings.
Served as adviser to a former prime minister of an East European country in the largest corruption case in the country's history.
Obtained a declination from DOJ National Security Division in FARA case.
Advised the governments of Romania and Ukraine on anti-corruption reforms.
Served as US support lawyer for a European monitor in connection with Deferred Prosecution Agreement with DOJ.
Representative Matters with DOJ
- Served as lead US prosecutor in the extradition of a Russian government official facing
charges of money laundering.
- Prosecuted a 30-defendant Eastern European organized crime case.
- Prosecuted a 17-defendant Russian organized crime case.
- Prosecuted a racketeering case involving a USD 1 billion fraud in the audiotext and internet
pornography industries perpetrated by a well-known organized crime family.
- Worked with Russian parliament and presidential administration to draft new laws on human trafficking and cooperating witnesses; provided law enforcement technical assistance in other former Soviet countries including Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Moldova and Latvia.
- Judge Allen G. Schwartz, United States District Court, Southern District of New York (1997-1998)
- Superior Honor Award, US Department of State, 2010 and 2004
- Special Award for Advancing US-Russian Cooperation in Antitrust Enforcement, presented by Russian Federal Anti-Monopoly Service, 2010
- Best Professor Award, Pericles American Business Law Education Project, Moscow, awarded for class on "Corporate and White Collar Crime," 2009-2010
- American Bar Association Section of International Law Award for Best Stand-Alone Program, 'Resolution of Russia-Related Business Disputes: The Next Wave," September 2009
- Outstanding Performance Award, US Department of Justice, 2008, 2009
- Award for Advancing US-Russian Cooperation, Moscow Oblast Advocates Chamber, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Council on Foreign Relations - Member
- U.S.- Russia Foundation - Director; Chair, Nomination and Governance
- Center for European Policy Analysis - Director
- Integrity Initiatives International - Director
- U.S.- Kyrgyzstan Business Council - Immediate past Chairman
- U.S.- Tajikistan Business Council - Immediate past Secretary - Treasurer
- America Uzbekistan Chamber of Commerce - Board Member
- EurasiaNet.Org - Director
- District of Columbia (2018)
- New York (1994)
- Harvard Law School (J.D., Cum Laude) (1993)
- University of California at Berkeley (M.A. Soviet & East European Politics) (1987)
- Harvard College (B.A. Slavic Languages and Literature, Magna Cum Laude with Highest Honors) (1986)
- Author, "The Future of Drug Decriminalization After Oregon" Law 360, December 16, 2020
- Author, "2020 Election May Mark a Turning Point for Marijuana Law" Law 360, December 2, 2020
- Author, "Virus, 'Tiger King' Point to Need for Wildlife Trafficking Law" Law360, June 11, 2020
- Author, "COVID and Marijuana Legalization: Lessons of History" Benzinga, May 8, 2020
- Author, "DOJ Should Issue No Action Letters For Marijuana Industry" Law360, May 1, 2020