Representative Legal Matters
- Served as adviser to a former prime minister of an East European country in the largest corruption case in the country’s history.
- Obtained a declination from DOJ for an individual under investigation as an unregistered foreign agent in violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
- Conducted internal investigations and risk assessments for US and European companies in various countries including Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
- Obtained declinations from the DOJ for US companies in FCPA investigations into allegations of bribery in Nigeria and Kazakhstan.
- Advised the governments of Romania and Ukraine on anti-corruption reforms.
- Represented three Swiss banks in the US DOJ amnesty program.
- Served as US support lawyer for European monitor in connection with Deferred Prosecution Agreement with DOJ.
Representative Matters with DOJ
- Served as lead US prosecutor in the extradition of a Russian government official facing charges of money laundering.
- Prosecuted a 30-defendant Eastern European organized crime case.
- Prosecuted a 17-defendant Russian organized crime case.
Superior Honor Award, US Department of State, 2010 and 2004
Special Award for Advancing US-Russian Cooperation in Antitrust Enforcement, presented by Russian Federal Anti-Monopoly Service Director Igor Artemyev, 2010
Best Professor Award, Pericles American Business Law Education Project, Moscow, awarded for class on "Corporate and White Collar Crime," 2009-2010
American Bar Association Section of International Law Award for Best Stand-Alone Program, 'Resolution of Russia-Related Business Disputes: The Next Wave," September 2009
Outstanding Performance Award, US Department of Justice, 2008, 2009
Award for Advancing US-Russian Cooperation, Moscow Oblast Advocates Chamber, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- U.S.-Kyrgyzstan Business Council - Chairman
- U.S.-Tajikistan Business Council - Secretary-Treasurer
- America Uzbekistan Chamber of Commerce - Board Member
- EurasiaNet.Org - Member of Advisory Board
- Ukrainian Commission to Select Head of Asset Recovery Office - Member
- American Bar Association - Section of International Law, Vice-Chaiman, Russia/Eurasia Committee and International Criminal Law
- New York (1994)
- Harvard Law School (J.D. cum laude) (1993)
- University of California at Berkeley (M.A. Soviet & East European Politics) (1987)
- Harvard College (B.A. Slavic Languages and Literature magna cum laude) (1986)
- Varia Language School, Krakow, Poland (Certificate) (2016)
- Varia Language School, Krakow, Poland (Certificate) (2015)
- Rolang Romanian Language School, Bucharest, Romania (Certificate Intensive Summer Program) (2017)