Katia is a senior associate in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution team, based in London. She advises clients on global dispute resolution strategy and settlement negotiation and acts on their behalf in commercial and investment disputes under LCIA, ICC, ICSID and UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. She acts on behalf of governments and private parties in energy, large construction projects and post M&A disputes, where she has extensive experience. Her practice mainly involves multijurisdictional issues and she regularly advises clients on investment structuring and restructuring. Katia completed a nine-month secondment in Shell’s EMENA Litigation Group, working on a number of high-stake disputes. She taught international commercial and investment arbitration at King’s College London for several years and regularly publishes in the field of international arbitration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising IOC within consortium on USD4.1 billion dispute with government under UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules and seated in Stockholm relating to production sharing agreement, and specifically allocation of profit and cost oil. Advisor on arbitration and parallel settlement negotiation strategy as adopted by consortium.
- Advising IOC within consortium on litigation/arbitration strategy under a production sharing agreement providing notably for ICSID, including trigger date for commercial production, cost recovery, tax levy in kind, changes in environmental law inconsistent with contractual obligations.
- Acting for a State in ICSID proceedings regarding alleged violations of a contract concluded with a local company, involving arbitrator challenges, admissibility issues, issues of jurisdiction as well as alleged breaches of contract.
- Acting for a several companies and their ultimate owner in an arbitration arising out of a shareholders dispute regarding a coal power plant in West Africa in an LCIA arbitration seated in London.
- Advising consortium strategy on resolving dispute with operator on cost categorisation under operating agreement providing for litigation in English courts, specifically on categorisation as operating or decommissioning costs.
- Advising IOC on dispute resolution and negotiation strategy with respect to construction of one of largest LNG projects in the world providing for LCIA arbitration seated in London, involving misrepresentation claims, scope of released claims under a parallel agreement, application of delay LDs and parent company and bank guarantees.
- Advising a Saudi Arabia based insurance conglomerate to a successful result on liability in an LCIA arbitration seated in London relating to transfer of shares in entity listed on the Saudi Arabian stock exchange. Advising on post-award settlement strategy yielding result greater than possible award of damages.
- Acting for a major Saudi Arabia based company in an LCIA administered UNCITRAL Rules arbitration concerning the construction of a smelting plant and assisting the settlement of the dispute. Providing strategic advice on disputes arising with other parties, including EPC contractor and suppliers, relating to the construction and operation of the plant.
- Acting for a Malaysian oil and gas services conglomerate in LMAA arbitration seated in London concerning the construction and delivery of a specialist vessel valued at USD180 million.
- Acting for an IOC in two parallel arbitrations relating to the flexibility around the ACQ and delivery points arising out of a long-term natural gas supply contract, both LNG supply by way of tankers to a regasification plant and natural gas by way of pipeline. The arbitrations were administered by the Madrid Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Rules and seated in Madrid.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- International Chamber of Commerce - Member
- London Court of International Arbitration - Member
- Investment Protection Forum of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- King's College London, UK (Master of Laws International Commercial and Investment Arbitration) (2008)
- Universite Paris I Pantheon Sorbonne (Master of Laws International Private and Business Law) (2007)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.