Miriam is an Associate in the IT/Commercial Department of Baker McKenzie's London office, focusing on data protection, consumer law and commercial contracts. She joined Baker & McKenzie LLP as a trainee in March 2014 and was admitted as a Solicitor of England and Wales in March 2016.
Representative Legal Matters
Developing global data protection strategies for a number of multinationals to address US and EU privacy laws. Key clients include a number of social media and technology platforms, an artificial intelligence software provider, an international chain of hotels, a cybersecurity company, and a luxury cosmetics group.
Advising social media networks on developing platforms that are age-appropriate and meet the requirements of the GDPR and COPPA, including establishing age verification mechanisms and frameworks for proactive content moderation.
Interacting with regulators on behalf of clients, including the Information Commissioner's Office, the Competition and Markets Authority and Ofcom.
Navigating international data transfer mechanisms, including obtaining Privacy Shield certification for a US social media platform and Binding Corporate Rules for a cybersecurity company.
Establishing frameworks and processes to enable Telcos and OTT platforms to disclose information to law enforcement authorities and intelligence agencies under investigatory powers legislation.
Drafting and negotiating outsourcing and transitional agreements, including those in respect of the provision of services and the manufacture, supply and distribution of goods, including contracts for the supply of pharmaceuticals (for a global pharma company), media buying and advertising services (for a UK financial institution) and printing services (for a UK broadsheet).
- England & Wales (2016)
- Cambridge University (BA History) (2012)
- "Leveraging the lessons learnt from GDPR in the New Deal for Consumers," Connect on Tech, February 2020
- "Brexit, Choice of Law and Jurisdiction," Brexit Blog, August 2019
- "Investigatory Powers Legislation," Telecoms Regulatory Breakfast Briefing, February 2020
- "Managing Data Protection Risks in the Supply Chain," Annual Corporate Compliance Conference, September 2019
- "GDPR: Lessons so far," SCL Annual Conference, August 2018