Larry Finder has extensive experience in government investigations, corporate compliance counseling, federal grand jury, trial practice, internal investigations and business crimes. He became US Attorney for the Southern District of Texas in 1993. He has been peer-rated as an AV preeminent attorney by Martindale-Hubbell and ranked in Chambers USA in 2017-2019 for Litigation, White Collar Crime & Investigations.
Larry's reputation as one of the top attorneys in his field is bolstered by his oft-cited studies on deferred prosecution agreements and non-prosecution agreements. He has also been recognized as one of the top FCPA lawyers working outside of Washington, DC by prestigious insider news organizations, including Main Justice.
Larry is committed to public service outside of his law practice. He has chaired the Harris County Public Defender Board of Directors, and was selected for a three-year appointment (from 2009 to 2011) to the Practitioners Advisory Group (PAG), a standing advisory group of the United States Sentencing Commission. He has held appointments on the Board of Trustees for the Harris County Hospital District dba Harris Health System for eighteen years, and was chair from 1999-2003. He has also served on the board of trustees for Crime Stoppers Houston (2007 to 2009), and on the board of trustees and executive committee for The Council on Alcohol and Drugs Houston (from 2004 to 2006).
Representative Legal Matters
- Led a compliance review for the public college system.
- Led an internal investigation for an investment firm that was a victim of trade secret theft.
- Represented a civil plaintiff in a federal trial regarding a landlord-tenant case involving the defendant tenant’s failure to maintain leased premises. Plaintiff’s verdict and damages award was in excess of USD 1 million.
- Led an internal investigation for a national telecommunications company for employee fraud and self-dealing.
- Represented the president of an oilfield service manufacturing company under federal investigation for fraud; no criminal charges were filed.
- Represented principals in worksite investigation; no criminal charges were filed.
- Represented the CEO of a food service company for worksite enforcement violations; no felony charges were filed.
- Represented a waste disposal and environmental solutions entity in federal work site enforcement action; no criminal charges were filed.
- Represented a non-profit service organization to investigate allegations of improprieties by high-level personnel.
- Represented the audit committee of an international oilfield services and equipment company to investigate alleged violations of export control laws and foreign corrupt practices.
- Represented an officer of a company under investigation under the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act; no criminal charges filed against the client officer.
- Represented an officer of a regional engineering company under investigation for federal election law violations; no criminal charges filed against the client officer.
- Represented various global oilfield services companies in internal investigations abroad involving self-dealing and other offenses by company employees.
- Provided anti-bribery compliance advice to global offshore well intervention and subsea robotics company doing business in high risk countries.
- Leading Lawyer in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, Texas, Chambers USA, 2017-2019
- Attorneys Who Matter: Top Guns, Ethisphere Institute, 2011-2013
- Top 100 Houston Region Super Lawyers - Criminal Defense-White Collar, Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2019
- Criminal Defense: White Collar, Texas’ Best Lawyers, 2009, 2012-2019
- International Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defense, 2015-2017
- International Who’s Who of Investigations Lawyers and Forensic Experts and International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, 2014-2019
- International Who's Who Legal of Business Crime Lawyers, 2003-2006 and 2011-2019
- Criminal Defense: White Collar, The Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings – AV Preeminent Rated™ Lawyer Peer Review Rating, 1996-2010
- Best FCPA Lawyers Outside the Beltway, MainJustice.com, 2011
- Award for Exceptional Assistance to Preserve the Integrity of the Judiciary, Federal Bar Association and Judicial Council of the Fifth Circuit, 2011
- Recognized in ICFM Leading Lawyers 500, InterContinental Finance Magazine
- Shortlisted for the Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2015 in the category of: Business Crime Firm of the Year - USA
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Criminal Justice Section
- National Association of Former U.S. Attorneys - Member
- Houston Bar Association - Member
- Harris County Hospital District d/b/a Harris Health System - Trustee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1987)
- Colorado Supreme Court (inactive)~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1985)
- New York~United States (1984)
- Texas~United States (1983)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States (1983)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1982)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1976)
- Illinois Supreme Court (inactive)~United States (1976)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (JD) (1976)
- Northern Illinois University (BA cum laude) (1973)
Co-author, "T, G and E Under the FCPA: How Much Is Too Much?," The Review of Securities Commodities, Regulation, Volume 51, Number 10, 23 May 2018
Co-author, "DPAs No Longer MIA in the U.K.," Corporate Counsel, July 2013
Author, "Betting the Corporation: Compliance or Defiance? Compliance Programs in the Context of Deferred and NonProsecution Agreements Corporate PreTrial Agreement Update 2008," Corporate Counsel Review, South Texas College of Law, Volume 27, Number 1, May 2009
Author, "Annual Corporate PreTrial Agreement Update 2007," prepared for the ABA White Collar Crime Institute, March 2008
Author, "Third Verse, Same as the First," Corporate Counsel, 27 March 2007
Co-author, "Devolution of Authority: The Department of Justice's Corporate Charging Policies," St. Louis University Law Journal, Issue 51:1, Fall 2006
Author, "Internal Investigations: Consequences of the Federal Deputation of Corporate America," South Texas Law Review, Volume 45, Number 1
Co-author, "Overview of the Federal Sentencing Guidelines for Organizations and Corporate Compliance Programs," ABA’s White Collar Crime Newsletter, August 2005
Co-presenter, "DoJ Corporate Charging Decisions, PreTrial Agreements, and More," Compliance Week's 4th Annual Conference, 3-5 June 2009