Javier is an attorney with experience on public international law and dispute resolution in the fields of international investment and commercial arbitration. He also has experience in national arbitrations representing clients of different industries.
Javier worked as an international associate in Washington, DC (2007-2009) where he was involved in ICSID arbitration proceedings and international commercial arbitration matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Part of the team of attorneys that represented the Republic of Peru together with another international law firm in the civil complaint filed by the Republic of Peru before the Unites States District Court of the District of Connecticut against Yale University for the recovery of the archaeological artifacts of Machu Picchu.
Part of the team of attorneys that together with another international law firm represented the Republic of Peru in the following international investment arbitrations, which resulted in complete victories for the Republic of Peru:
- Convial Callao S.A. y CCI - Compañia de Concesiones de Infraestructura S.A. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/10/2), regarding a concession for a highway construction project in the Via Expresa del Callao.
- Caraveli Cotaruse Transmisora de Energia S.A.C. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/9), regarding an electricity transmission concession and the alleged effects of the 2008 global financial crisis.
- Isolux Corsan Concesiones S.A. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/5), regarding the public bid for an electricity concession, which was settled between the parties through an Integral Settlement Agreement.
- Renco Group Inc v. Republic of Peru, UNCITRAL arbitration under the Investment Chapter of the Peru – U.S. Free Trade Agreement, regarding the operations of the Oroya Metallurgical Complex by Doe Run Peru.
Part of the team of attorneys that together with another international law firm represented the Republic of Peru in the following international investment arbitrations:;
- DP World Callao S.R.L., P&O Dover (Holdings) Limited and The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/21), regarding a concession for the North Pier of the Callao Port.
- Exeteco Internacional Company S.L. c. La Republica del Peru, Ad hoc UNCITRAL arbitration, regarding a public bid for the concession for the construction of a prison in Northern Peru.
Part of the Firm´s team that represented the Republic of Peru in a Direct Negotiation Phase with a foreign investor, which ended a potential ICSID arbitration with the signing of a Settlement Agreement.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lima Bar Association - Member
- Arbitration Center of Lima Chamber of Commerce - Member, List of Arbitrators
- Center of Analysis and Dispute Resolution of the Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru - Member, List of arbitrators
- ICC Commission on Arbitration - Member, Sub Commission for the Promotion of Instruments and Events (2018)
- ICC YAF Peru - Member, Executive Committee (2017)
- Arbitration Center of the American Chamber of Commerce of Peru - Member, List of arbitrators (2011)
- Peru of the Task Force of the International Court of Arbitration of the ICC - Member (2011)
- Lima, Peru (2002)
- American University (Master of Law) (2004)
- Universidad de Lima (Law Degree) (2002)
- Author, "Conditions for the state´s consent to arbitrate under international investment agreements," IBA Newsletter, May 2019
- Author, "International investment arbitration under the Peru – United States Free Trade Agreement," Advocatus Law Magazine, No. 28, 2014
- Author, "The Pacific Alliance and Foreign Investment, El Peruano Newsletter, October 2014
- Author, "Venezuela versus the ICSID Convention," Semana Economica Magazine, April 2012
- Co-author, “Ethical Matters in International Arbitral Tribunals," article for the book in honor of distinguished Peruvian attorney Manuel De La Puente y Lavalle, Peruvian Institute for Arbitrarion, January 2012