Javier is an attorney with experience on public international law and dispute resolution in the fields of international investment and commercial arbitration. Also, with experience in national arbitrations representing clients of different industries. Javier worked as an international associate in the arbitration practice of White & Case LLP, in Washington, D.C. (2007-2009) where he was involved in ICSID arbitration proceedings and international commercial arbitration matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Among the most relevant matters, Javier has been involved in the following:
- He was part of the team of attorneys that represented the Republic of Peru in the civil complaint filed by the Republic of Peru before the Unites States District Court of the District of Connecticut against Yale University for the recovery of the archaeological artifacts of Machu Picchu.
- He was part of the team of attorneys that represented the Republic of Peru in the following international investment arbitrations, which resulted in complete victories for the Republic of Peru:
- Convial Callao S.A. y CCI - Compania de Concesiones de Infraestructura S.A. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/10/2), regarding a concession for a highway construction project in the Via Expresa del Callao.
- Caraveli Cotaruse Transmisora de Energia S.A.C. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/9), regarding an electricity transmission concession and the alleged effects of the 2008 global financial crisis.
- Isolux Corsan Concesiones S.A. v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/5), regarding the public bid for an electricity concession, which was settled between the parties through an Integral Settlement Agreement.
- Renco Group Inc v. Republic of Peru, UNCITRAL arbitration under the Investment Chapter of the Peru - U.S. Free Trade Agreement, regarding the operations of the Oroya Metallurgical Complex by Doe Run Peru.
- Also, Javier was part of the team of attorneys that represented the Republic of Peru in the following international investment arbitrations:
- DP World Callao S.R.L., P&O Dover (Holdings) Limited and The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company v. Republic of Peru (ICSID Case No. ARB/11/21), regarding a concession for the North Pier of the Callao Port.
- Exeteco Internacional Company S.L. c. La Republica del Peru, Ad hoc UNCITRAL arbitration, regarding a public bid for the concession for the construction of a prison in Northern Peru.
- In addition, he was part of the firm's team that represented the Republic of Peru in a Direct Negotiation Phase with a foreign investor, which ended a potential ICSID arbitration with the signing of a Settlement Agreement.
- Javier was part of the firm's team that represented the Republic of Peru in a Direct Negotiation Phase with a foreign investor, which ended in a settlement agreement avoiding and ICSID arbitration.
- Also, he has been involved in various international commercial arbitrations, including the following:
- Two ad hoc international commercial arbitrations under UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, representing a Peruvian private entity against a foreign investor in the electricity sector.
- An international commercial arbitration before the Inter-American Commission on Commercial Arbitration (CIAC) representing Perupetro S.A., Peruvian private entity in charge of all the Contracts for the Exploration and Exploitation of Hydrocarbons in Peru, in an arbitration initiated by an Argentine hydrocarbons company,
- An international commercial arbitration before CIAC representing Perupetro S.A., in an arbitration initiated by an American hydrocarbons company,
- An ICC arbitration representing a consortium in an arbitration regarding sanitation works.
- Representing and foreign investor in two ad hoc UNCITRAL arbitrations against a Municipality in Peru, regarding a highway concession.
- Representing a foreign investor in two arbitrations before the International Arbitration Chamber of Paris (IACP) against a Municipality in Peru, regarding a highway concession.
- Representing a French investor in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State.
- Representing a foreign investor in a Direct Negotiation Phase before initiating and ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member of the Rising Arbitrators Initiative, 2021
- Member of the List of Arbitrators of the Arbitration Center of the Lima Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the List of Arbitrators of the Center of Analysis and Dispute Resolution of the Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru
- Member of the List of Arbitrators of the Arbitration Center of the American Chamber of Commerce of Peru (AMCHAM Peru), 2011
- Member of the Sub Commission for the Promotion of Instruments and Events of Peru's ICC Commission on Arbitration, 2018
- Member of the Executive Committee of the ICC YAF Peru, 2017
- Member and Country Rapporteur for Peru of the Task Force of the International Court of Arbitration of the ICC regarding National Rules of Procedure for Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Awards, with respect to the New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards, 2011
- Lima, Peru (2002)
- (Latin American International Arbitration Course (LAIAC)) (2020)
- National Society of Mining, Petroleum and Energy (Specialization Course in Mining Law) (2018)
- Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas (Diploma on Concession Law) (2012)
- American University (Master of Law) (2004)
- Universidad de Lima (Law Degree) (2002)
- Author, "International protection for foreign investors grows", with the entry into force of the CPTPP multilateral treaty, Semana Económica, September 2021
- Author, "Conditions for the state´s consent to arbitrate under international investment agreements," IBA Newsletter, May 2019
- Author, "International investment arbitration under the Peru – United States Free Trade Agreement," Advocatus Law Magazine, No. 28, 2014
- Author, "The Pacific Alliance and Foreign Investment, El Peruano Newsletter, October 2014
- Author, "Venezuela versus the ICSID Convention," Semana Economica Magazine, April 2012
- Co-author, “Ethical Matters in International Arbitral Tribunals," article for the book in honor of distinguished Peruvian attorney Manuel De La Puente y Lavalle, Peruvian Institute for Arbitrarion, January 2012
Estudio Echecopar is a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein