Alex Farcas is a member of the North America Corporate & Securities Group. Alex focuses his practice on a variety of transactional matters with particular emphasis on public and private capital market transactions and domestic and cross-border M&A. He also advises on corporate governance, capital market regulatory compliance and other securities-related matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Catamaran Corporation on its USD12.8 billion merger with OptumRx, UnitedHealth Groups' free-standing pharmacy care services business.
- Represented VASCO Data Security International Inc. on the USD85 million acquisition of Canada-based Silanis Technology Inc.
- Represented the special committee of YM BioSciences Inc. in connection with the CAD510 million sale of YM to Gilead Sciences Inc.
- Represented Iberian Minerals Corp. in respect of its CAD298.7 million takeover bid offer by Trafigura Beheer B.V.
- Represented Evergreen Industries Group in its CAD115 million takeover bid of MagIndustries Corp.
- Represented a Japanese consortium in connection with its CAD186 million joint venture investment in a Canadian mining project.
- Represented the purchaser in separate acquisitions of a mining cadastre software company and a crane equipment manufacturer.
- Acted for a syndicate of agents on a brokered equity private placement and syndicated loan to finance in part the acquisition by HLS Therapeutics Inc. of the US and Canadian rights to Clozaril® (clozapine) from Novartis AG.
- Acted for the agents in connection with two public offerings of units of Titan Medical Inc. for aggregate gross proceeds of CAD25 million.
- Acted for a syndicate of underwriters in connection with CAD40 million public offering of common shares of Sulliden Gold Corporation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2009)
- York University (Osgoode Hall) (LL.B.) (2008)