Patrick Fair practices in telecommunications, information technology and intellectual property. His experience covers information security, privacy, online content regulation, telecommunications regulation and broadcasting law.
Patrick has extensive experience providing regulatory advice and acting in transactions associated with information technology and systems, intellectual property and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Conducted detailed security audit, reviewed and advised in relation to systems, procedures, supplier and customer contract issues for a major listed technology service provider.
- Provided a detailed review of privacy law compliance across the business of a global retail product supplier.
- Acting for the purchaser of a major Australian solar power solutions retailer.
- Negotiating and documenting a long term supply agreement for installation, updating and support of Australia-wide mobile telecommunication base station portfolio.
- Negotiating and documenting an agreement for the provision of satellite capacity for delivery of an Australia-wide broadband service.
- Negotiating and providing advice in relation to the purchase of a spectrum portfolio.
- Acting for a transmission facilities provider in the preparation of a facilities access agreement including advising in relation to site access rules.
- Assisted with negotiation of an enforceable undertaking given to the Australian Privacy Commissioner regarding future ongoing privacy compliance for a listed company.
- Responding to multiple data breach incidents including obtaining court orders offshore to obtain identification information of the source of the hacks, obtaining and executing civil search and seizure orders and recovering lost information.
- Advising cloud service providers on the cross border disclosure issues including preparation of white papers to provide regulatory guidance to customers and making changes to collection and privacy policies to accord.
- Recommended Practitioner, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2013, 2015
- Best Lawyer in Information Technology Law, Best Lawyers Australia, 2015
- Best Lawyer in Telecommunications Law, Best Lawyers Australia, 2015
- Recommended Practitioner, PLC Which lawyer?, 2009-2011
- Recommended Practitioner, Chambers Global, 2009-2011
- Excellent Practitioner, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2005-2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Copyright Society of Australia - Member
- Society for Computers & the Law - Member
- Communications and Media Law Association - Member
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member and Former President
- New South Wales~Australia (1984)
- University of Sydney (LL.B.) (1984)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Economics) (1982)