Maxine Ethier is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Major Projects and Global Energy, Mining and Infrastructure Groups. She focuses her practice on representing clients in a variety of project development and corporate transactions, mergers and acquisition and project finance transactions with a particular emphasis on water, energy and infrastructure projects, including public-private partnerships (P3s) and alternative financing and procurements (AFPs).
Maxine joined Baker McKenzie's Toronto office in 2014 after having practiced at a leading Canadian law firm.
Representative Legal Matters
Infrastructure on Public Private Partnerships
- Advised the winning bidder in connection with the acquisition of the equity interests in a portfolio of water and wastewater concessions in the United States.
- Advised Aquaria Water in connection with the sale of its desalination plant to the City of Brockton and the negotiation of an operation maintenance agreement.
- Advised Fiera Infrastructure in its acquisition of five operational P3 assets from Forum Equity Partners. The enterprise value is CAD 400 million and the P3 assets include three Ontario projects (the Billy Bishop Pedestrian Tunnel, the Quinte Consolidated Courthouse and the Southwest Detention Centre in Windsor), as well as two BC projects (the Surrey Pretrial Services Centre and the Vancouver Social Housing project).
- Advised the Indianapolis Airport Authority in connection with the procurement process for a P3 project involving its wastewater and stormwater systems.
- Advised Colas Canada Inc. as the operations and maintenance service provider in connection with the CAD 120 million South West Calgary Ring Road design, build, finance and operate P3 project for a 31 km of new six lane and eight lane divided freeway, as well as 14 interchanges, one flyover, one grade-separated railway crossing and three river crossings.
- Advised Fiera Infrastructure and Ullico Inc. in connection with the acquisition of an interest in a portfolio of eleven late stage development and operating renewable energy projects across the United States.
- Advised Fiera Infrastructure in connection with the acquisition and financing of a 50% stake in the project company that owns Ontario’s 100MW Cedar Point II Wind Facility.
- Advised a bidder in connection with an auction for the sale of an interest in an operating wind facility in Ontario.
- Advising a purchaser in connection with the acquisition of an interest in a portfolio of renewable energy projects across the United States.
- Advised an energy distributor on associated commodity hedging, electricity and other corporate/commercial matters in Canada.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Association of Women in Energy Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Women's Infrastructure Network
- Young Leaders in Infrastructure
- Ontario~Canada (2007)
- University of Ottawa (LL.B.) (2006)
- University of Ottawa (B.Com. International Management) (2003)