Alberto Escudero is head of the Baker McKenzie’s Competition Law Practice in Madrid.
Mr. Escudero advises clients on a wide variety of competition law issues. His experience includes merger control, the defence of clients before the competition authorities and courts in competition law proceedings, assessment of the compatibility of cooperation agreements and distribution contracts with competition law, and the implementation of compliance programs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Notification of concentrations to the European Commission and the Spanish Competition Authority. Experience in complex issues such as applications for a derogation from the suspension obligations, so that the parties to the concentration could close the transaction prior to clearance; remedies negotiations, with the aim of resolving the competition restraints to which, in the opinion of the authorities, the concentration gave rise; phase II proceedings, where the authorities carry out an in-depth review of the effects that the concentration may have on the affected markets’ competition conditions; and multijurisdictional concentration filings with the competition authorities of several states.
- Representing clients before the competition authorities in infringement proceedings concerning cartels, vertical restraints, abuse of dominant position or unfair competition. Advised clients in the context, for example, of on-site inspections, leniency requests and commitments negotiations.
- Representing clients in appeals before the courts concerning competition authorities' decisions regarding restrictive practices and merger control.
- Advised on the compatibility of agreements between competitors with competition law, for example, in the context of alliances, information exchanges, joint purchasing, among others.
- Advised on the compatibility with competition law of agreements between companies at different levels in the production or distribution chain, for example, distribution, franchise, agency, among others.
- Implemented competition law compliance programs, usually including the drafting of compliance guidelines, training sessions and auditing.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Madrid Bar Association - Member
- Spanish Competition Association - Member
- Madrid~Spain (1997)
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) (Post Graduate Diploma EU Law)
- Universidad San Pablo CEU (Law Degree EU Law)
- King's College London, UK (Post Graduate Diploma EU Competition Law)
Co-author, chapter on merger control proceedings, Estudios Jurídicos sobre Operaciones de Reestructuración Societaria (Legal Studies on Corporate Restructuring Operations), Thomson Aranzadi
Co-author, chapter on vertical agreements, Tratado de Derecho de la Competencia (Competition Law Treatise), Bosch
Co-author, Apuntes de Derecho de la Competencia comunitario y español (Handbook on European and Spanish Competition Law), Dykinson
Author, articles in publications specializing in competition law (e- Competitions; Gaceta Jurídica de la Unión Europea y de la Competencia; Derecho de la Competencia Europeo y Español) and in economic press