Susana Escobedo is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Environmental Practice Group in Tijuana. She joined the Firm in March 2011. Ms. Escobedo's practice focuses on environmental law, with emphasis on environmental impact and risk, as well as the prevention, risks and control of air, water and soil pollution. Additionally, she focuses on real estate and infrastructure. Ms. Escobedo is a member of the National Association of Corporate Counsel of Mexico.
Ms. Escobedo routinely handles matters involving environmental impact, water, air and soil pollution as well as hazardous waste management and occupational health and safety issues. She has advised mines and oil companies on procedures to carry out remediation programs, and has conducted environmental audits for several plants and mines in Mexico. Ms. Escobedo frequently advises and assists hotels, resorts and industrial plants on the acquisition and sale of real properties in Mexico, as well as the purchase and sale of residential properties, through trusts or purchase and sale agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on legal matters and negotiated the purchase and sale agreement pertaining to the acquisition of a plant in Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico for an automotive parts manufacturer.
- Assisted in environmental and mining due diligence matters for the acquisition of a mine in Sonora, Mexico.
- Advised a major wastewater treatment plant in Mexico on the applicable environmental, real estate and infrastructure permits and requirements to construct and operate a desalination plant in Baja California, Mexico.
- Advised mining and oil companies on hazardous waste management, soil contamination as well as remediation programs and procedure for soil contaminated with hydrocarbons and hazardous waste.
- Advised on real estate trusts (in restricted areas), purchase options and preliminary contracts on real properties.
- Participated in several environmental audits, including environmental health and safety matters for mines and industrial plants in Mexico.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa, Colegio de Abogados, A.C. - Member
- Mexican National Association of Corporate Counsels - Member
- Mexico (2009)
- University Autonoma de Baja California (Law Degree Honors) (2009)