Yana Ermak is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s International Commercial Practice Group and a member of the Global Antitrust & Competition Group. She advises Canadian and international clients on all aspects of competition and antitrust law, including merger control, abuse of dominance and criminal matters. Yana has experience in foreign investment review issues under the Investment Canada Act. She has also co-authored a number of articles and papers regarding developments in competition law.
Yana's practice focuses on pre-merger clearance, as well as strategic counsel in other areas of competition law, including pricing and distribution practices, price fixing and misleading advertising and marketing practices. Yana has advised clients across a wide range of industries, including pharmaceutical, mining, manufacturing, retail, media and advertising and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Nyrstar NV on Canadian competition law matters in connection with Trafigura Beheer B.V.'s acquisition of a share interest.
- Represented a major luxury retailer in connection with its Canadian expansion.
- Representing a major cosmetics company in connection with regulatory issues.
- Advised a leading international insurance company in the development of a global competition compliance policy and program, including providing training and support to its Canadian operations.
- Advising a multinational food manufacturer on the implementation of new pricing policies and their impact on the company's promotional activities.
- Advising a major Canadian retailer on its advertising and promotional practices.
- Advised Pfizer Inc. on its USD68 billion acquisition of Wyeth.
- Advised Waste Management of Canada Corporation in connection with the amendment of the Competition Tribunal Order.
- Advised Vanguard Car Rental Holdings LLC in connection with its acquisition by Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member, National Competition Law
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Section on Antitrust Law
- Ontario~Canada (2003)
- University of Toronto Law School (J.D.) (2002)
- University of Toronto (B.A. with Distinction) (1995)