Peter J. Engstrom has over 30 years of experience working on complex civil litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He has been named one of the top lawyers in the Bay Area and has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in Northern California. He regularly contributes articles on cross-border litigation topics to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Daily Journal.
Peter is the Firm's general counsel. He previously served as a member of the Firm's Executive Committee and as managing partner of the Firm’s North American region, and also managed the Firm’s San Francisco and Palo Alto offices.
Peter’s experience in commercial and business litigation includes jury and bench trials in state and federal court, administrative agency proceedings, and alternative dispute resolution in California and several other states, as well as international cross-border venues. His experience ranges from disputes involving stock options, ERISA and benefits plans to claims under the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act. Peter also advises clients on intellectual property, trade secret, unfair competition, and other technology related claims. He likewise handles cases involving oil & gas, mineral rights, environmental law and other property and resource-related causes of action.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Litigation and Resources, Energy & Env. Law Sections
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers - Member
- American Bar Association - Sections on Energy & Natural Resource Law, Oil Gas and Mineral Law
- San Francisco Bar Association - Member
- State Bar of California - Litigation Section
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit~United States (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2005)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States (1991)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States (1986)
- California~United States (1985)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (1985)
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D.) (1985)
- University of California at Berkeley (A.B.) (1982)