Leana focuses her practice on competition law, consumer protection law, data protection law and other regulatory work.
She has experience in all aspects of competition law, including mergers, prohibited practices, leniency applications and abuse of dominance. Leana has been involved in several high-profile competition matters including in the casino and gaming, fast moving consumer goods, airline, food services, construction and private healthcare industries.
Her experience extends not only to South African law, but also to other African national and regional jurisdictions such as Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and the Common Market of Southern and Eastern Africa (COMESA).
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a leading construction firm in various acquisitions and restructuring of its businesses.
- Acted for Sun International in obtaining merger clearance in four African jurisdictions for the acquisition by Minor Hotel Group of Sun International's African hotel and casino interests.
- Acted for Famous Brands in various acquisitions, including a cold storage and meat processing markets facility and a major catering company.
- Acting for a major international firm in the proposed acquisition of various interests across Africa, involving 18 African jurisdictions with filings in two jurisdictions.
- Represented leading breakfast cereal producers in the merger proceedings opposed by a third-party breakfast cereal producer.
- Acted for a leading online generalist retailer in obtaining merger approval for its acquisition of the business of a market peer.
- Acting for a non-ferrous scrap metals dealer in a cartel investigation.
- Acting for a multinational shipping firm in the South African Competition Commission's investigation relating to the alleged collusion in the markets for the shipment of automobiles.
- Acting for a major multinational parts and components supplier in an automotive parts collusion investigation.
- Acting for a domestic and regional passenger airline in complaint proceedings relating to collusion and abuse of dominance in the form of excessive pricing and predatory pricing.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2012)
- University of Pretoria (LLB) (2010)
- University of Pretoria (BCom) (2008)