Wael El Tounsy is the Head of Litigation Real Estate in Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group and a member of Baker McKenzie Real Estate Global Practice Group. He has been practicing law in the Middle East for over 30 years, focusing on real estate and construction litigation. He has been involved in many high-profile and complex real estate, construction and criminal cases in the UAE. Mr. El Tounsy lectures at the Dubai Legal Affairs Department under the Continuing Legal Professional Development program.
Mr. El Tounsy focuses on construction, property investment, development, sale and purchase disputes, and specialist commercial real estate. His background extends to arbitration-related court proceedings. These include applications for interim measures in support of arbitration, as well as actions for the enforcement and nullification of arbitration awards. Mr. El Tounsy advises on real estate and construction arbitration in the UAE. He is also experienced in criminal litigation matters and maritime disputes, including claims for shortage, damage, salvage, and insurance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as local counsel for a Kuwaiti holding corporation and its subsidiaries in claims of corruption and allegations of fraud made by a government entity in the sum of USD2 billion in relation to project finance.
- Represented a developer in a real estate dispute in Dubai against a master developer for a sum of AED78 million.
- Advised on several multimillion AED real estate disputes between purchasers/investors and developers under DIAC rules.
- Represented the owner of a prominent real estate development in a criminal case filed by a developer for fraud with a claim for damages.
- Represented clients in multimillion AED real estate cases filed against them for termination of contract and refund of money paid in addition to compensation for damages.
- Advised well reputed subcontractors on multimillion AED arbitration construction disputes under DIAC rules. In addition, represented and advised on multimillion disputes regarding enforcement of arbitration awards within the UAE.
- Represented a high-profile individual and an associated real estate company in more than 30 complaints of fraud.
- Represented a high-profile client in multiple bribery cases.
- Represented an insurance company in relation to claims for fire and arrest of vessels.
- Represented various ship owners and protection and indemnity associations in a number of cargo collisions and marine pollution cases (civil and criminal).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association
- Egyptian Maritime Association
- Egypt (1988)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (Higher Diploma Maritime Law) (2005)
- Alexandria University, Egypt (LL.B.) (1986)
Baker & McKenzie.Habib Al Mulla is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.