Abdullah S. El Maghraby is a member of the Wealth Management subgroup of the Tax Practice in London. Abdullah is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He has spoken at various conferences regarding tax and trusts in the Middle East. Abdullah is a contributor to the Street Youth Atlas and a member of the London office Sustainability Committee.
Abdullah advises international banks, trust companies and ultra high-net worth individuals both in the UK and overseas, particularly in the Middle East. He has experience in giving advice to UK resident non-UK domiciled individuals and establishing/restructuring bespoke international asset-holding and wealth management structures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an ultra-high net worth client in the Middle East on multiple global restructurings of personal and commercial assets and on certain international acquisitions.
- Advised high net worth individuals based in North America on the preparation of English law testamentary instruments.
- Advised professional trustees of trust structures of an ultra-high net worth individual in the Middle East regarding an international restructuring of trust assets and liabilities, including loans and residential real estate.
- Advised a world-famous author on the appropriateness of pre-existing royalty structures in light of the changes to the tax regime affecting UK-resident non-domiciliaries.
- Acted for members of a high net worth family based in Asia in connection with a UK tax investigation.
- Acted for a client based in the Middle East with respect to an English court claim for commercial real estate fraud.
- Advised certain members of a high net worth family based in Europe on mechanisms for putting in place various loans from certain offshore trusts to some of their underlying companies and on the effect of the loans on the family hotchpot.
- Advised a high net worth client in the Middle East on the implementation of their international trust structures including project managing various tenders made in respect of provision of trustee services.
- Advised professional trustees of offshore trust structures belonging to a high net worth family based in South America on implementing the appointment of corporate persons to various roles in the structures.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow
- Law Society of England and Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2017)
- King's College London, UK (Associateship of King's College) (2016)
- King's College London, UK (LLM International Business Law) (2015)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Diploma International Commercial Arbitration) (2014)
- City University of London (Post Graduate Diploma Legal Practice) (2013)
- BPP Law School (Graduate Diploma Law) (2012)
- School of Oriental & African Studies (M.Sc. International Management for the Middle East and North Africa) (2008)
- Imperial College, London (Associateship of the Royal College of Science) (2007)
- Imperial College, London (BSc Applied Business Management with honors) (2007)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.