Tom Egan is a member of the Firm’s Corporate & Securities Practice Group in Washington, DC, where he previously served as managing partner. He has authored a number of articles for a variety of internal and external publications, and is also a regular speaker on corporate and securities law issues and developments. He previously served as a member of the Steering Committee for the Firm's North America Corporate & Securities Practice Group. Tom also previously served on the Firm's Global Policy Committee and on its North America Regional Management Committee and on the office’s management committee.
Tom advises domestic and international clients on securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions. He is also experienced in handling corporate reorganizations, financial restructurings, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and complex commercial transactions. He also provides skillful counsel on the disclosure and procedural requirements of federal securities laws, and represents sponsors in connection with the formation of private investment funds. In addition, Tom works for REITs in relation to formation transactions, securities offerings, acquisitions and financings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented NYSE-listed global industrial company on the international and restructuring aspects of a Reverse Morris Trust carve-out transaction.
- Assisted CNOOC in its joint venture with Bridas Energy Holding Limited involving upstream and midstream oil and gas assets in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and Uruguay.
- Represented Congressional Quarterly, Inc. in the sale of its publications business to Roll Call, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Economist Group.
- Represented ColorLink, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by Real D, a California corporation.
- Represented MHI Hospitality Corporation, a real estate investment trust, in its initial public offering.
- Represented MHI Hospitality Corporation in connection with the formation of a joint venture with The Carlyle Group and the subsequent acquisition of a resort hotel.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia – Member
- American Bar Association – Member
- District of Columbia Bar – Member
- Atlantic Council – Board of Directors
- Corporate Council Institute – Advisory Board
- The Economic Club of Washington, D.C. – Member
- U.S.-Asean Business Council – Counsel
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (1985)
- District of Columbia~United States (1983)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M. Securities & Financial Regulation) (1992)
- Washington and Lee University School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (1983)
- University of Virginia (B.A. Distinction) (1979)
- Co-author with Karl Egbert and Mark Fitterman, "Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act : How Will It Be Implemented and What Can Companies Do?," Baker McKenzie Insight, February 2021
- Contributor, "The Revival of Dual Class Shares," International Financial Law Reporter, Spring 2020
- Author, "ESG in the Time of the Coronavirus," Baker McKenzie Insight, April 2020
- Author, "Dual Class Voting Structures - Will the competition among global exchanges offset growing pressure in the US to limit disparate voting arrangements?," Baker McKenzie Insight, October 2018
- Co-author, "Reverse Mergers Under Fire," October 2011
- Co-author, "SEC Releases Proposed 'Conflict Minerals' Reporting Regulations," January 2011