Vladimir Efremov is a partner in the Moscow office of Baker McKenzie.
Vladimir focuses his practice on international trade issues, sanctions and export control, the World Trade Organization, domestic and cross-border, direct and indirect taxation, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and compliance audits, product liability and data security issues. He also has extensive experience in the areas of customs and currency regulations, tax planning and tax-efficient structuring of Russian distribution models, advising on strategy regarding entry into the Russian market, and transactions in and outside of Russia.
Vladimir also led a number of projects on localization of foreign products and technologies and compliance with "Made in Russia" criteria.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major US, UK and European manufacturer on trade, tax and customs aspects of restructuring and expanding its business operations in Russia and the establishment of efficient distribution structures.
- Advised multinational and Russian clients on the applicable sanctions regimes, Russian anti-corruption legislation and general compliance issues.
- Advised clients on WTO-related issues, application of the anti-dumping duties and other trade protection measures, and anti-dumping investigations.
- Participated in anti-dumping investigations performed by the Commission of the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU).
- Advised on the EAEU regulatory framework.
- Continuously advising leading technology companies on import/export encryption clearance; assisted multiple clients with registration of notifications for various imported hardware, and advised on import encryption licensing requirements.
- Advised numerous major multinational companies on a range of issues relating to technical protection of confidential information, certification of information security tools with the Russian Federal Service for Technical and Export Control (FSTEC) and the Russian Federal Security Service (FSS), as well as FSTEC attestation of IT infrastructures of operators processing personal data.
- Advised a number of major technological and pharma companies on localization of products and issuance of ST-1 certificates.
- Advised clients on the effective distribution structures (observance of the Russian non-tariff import regulations, customs classification of goods, certification, state registration of products etc.).
- Advised clients involved in manufacturing and distribution of excise products on general tax, customs and licensing aspects.
- Russia (2004)
- Moscow Higher School of Economics (Law Degree cum laude) (2004)
Co-author, "Disputes Involving Sanctions Against Russian Persons Must Now Be Settled in the Russian State Courts," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, June 2020
Co-author, "EAEU Sets 0% Import Customs Duty on Electric Vehicles Until End of 2021," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020
Author, "Russia’s New Rules for Calculation of Corporate Property Tax," Bloomberg BNA Tax Planning International: Indirect Taxes, February 2014
Speaker, "Impact on Sanctions: Trump Administration’s Effects on US, EU, and Russian Sanctions," May 2017
Speaker, Doing Business in Russia Conference, JETRO, Tokyo, April 2017