Pablo Durán Bejarano is an associate of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Baker McKenzie´s office in Bogota.
Prior to joining the Firm in 2017, he worked at a leading local law firm in Bogota. His work focused on international trade and corporate matters. Pablo was also an intern for six months at the Legal Department of the Colombian Coffee Growers Federation, where he gained experience in intellectual property affairs and corporate law.
Pablo was a member of the team that represented the Universidad Javeriana that was the runner-up team in the Latin American round of the ELSA Moot Court Competition on WTO Law and made it to the Global Round in Geneva, Switzerland.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented foreign and national companies in arbitration and commercial and administrative disputes for amounts of up to USD 300 million.
- Participated in the defense team of a major Chinese engineering corporation against an annulment motion requested by a state company over an arbitral award; the arbitral award represented over USD 40 million for our client.
- Represented a Canadian engineering company in a major refinery litigation for claims exceeding USD 4 million.
- Participated in the defense of a Colombian governmental authority in a complex international arbitration proceeding against an international consortium related to the breach of a construction agreement; the damages claimed exceeded USD 90 million.
- Advised a Canadian corporation over the legal strategy to initiate an arbitral proceeding regarding a claim over the joint operation of an oil well; the value of the claims exceeded USD 14 million.
- Negotiated, as part of a team, in a settlement for an international dispute in the coal sector; the value of the claims exceeded USD 200 million.
- Represented an American multinational in a class action valued at over USD 4.5 million; designed the defense strategy taking into consideration Colombian procedural regulation, unfair competition acts and franchise agreement case law.
- Drafted legal concepts in contractual and litigious matters; participated in the drafting of legal opinions that concluded in practical strategies for the technology, automotive, infrastructure, oil and gas, pharmaceutical,
and educational industries.
- Reviewed, commented, and drafted different contracts and amendments for a Singaporean company in the oil and gas market with positive effects for its business.
- Conducted the review, analysis and amendment of the model contract used by a leading Japanese company in the automotive sector for all its distribution contracts in Colombia.
- Universidad Javeriana Order of Academic Merit / Orden al Mérito Académico Javeriano
- Colombia (2018)
- Universidad Javeriana (Post-graduate Degree in Commercial Law and Dispute Resolution) (2020)
- Universidad Javeriana (J.D.) (2017)