Robert Duffy is a litigation associate in the Washington, DC office. His practice involves advising clients on administrative, civil and criminal litigation matters, as well as internal investigations. Mr. Duffy is a member of the global cybersecurity practice.
Mr. Duffy focuses his practice on internal investigations and litigation related to complex administrative, civil and criminal matters. He advises clients on cybersecurity issues related to compliance and incident response. He also advises clients on information governance such as legal standards for securing data and identifying, preserving, collecting, and producing data in the context of litigation, internal investigations, and other disputes. He advises clients on the use of predictive coding and other advanced technologies in the context of internal investigations, government investigations, and civil litigation. He regularly utilizes his background in computer science and software engineering to deliver unique insights to clients facing complex legal issues implicating information technology.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major telecommunications provider on compliance with a DOJ Civil Investigative Demand regarding competition issues.
- Counseled one of the world’s largest providers of banking and payment services with respect to a significant cyber attack.
- Counseled a major financial institution in response to a cyber attack
- Counseled a major transportation company in response to an FTC investigation regarding cyber issues.
- Counseled a regional bank on compliance with cybersecurity regulations.
- Advised a large grocery store chain on compliance with an FTC Civil Investigative Demand related to a cyber attack.
- Advised a major telecommunications company involved in litigation related to the multibillion dollar acquisition of a subsidiary.
- Managed e-discovery projects for a major telecommunications company related to labor and employment class action litigation, IP litigation, regulatory subpoenas, and securities litigation.
- District of Columbia~United States (2012)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office~United States (2011)
- Virginia~United States (2010)
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D.) (2009)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute (B.S.) (2003)