J.P. Duffy is a partner in the firm's New York office and focuses his practice on international arbitration and related litigation. He has extensive experience formulating global dispute resolution strategies for clients facing multi-jurisdictional international disputes and has represented clients across a range of industries in international arbitrations administered under the ICC, AAA/ICDR, LCIA, HKIAC, SIAC, DIAC, JAMS, GAFTA, ICSID and UNCITRAL rules in the US, Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America. He also enjoys a comprehensive understanding of the interaction between courts and arbitration and has represented clients before US state and federal courts in litigation seeking prospective relief in aid of arbitration, actions under 28 USC § 1782 to obtain evidence in support of foreign tribunals and proceedings to enforce arbitral awards.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing an Austrian claimant in an ICSID arbitration against the government of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Representing a US company as claimant in an ICSID arbitration against the Dominican Republic under the DR-CAFTA.
- Representing a US power company as respondent in an ad hoc arbitration seated in India brought by an Indian state-owned power generation company.
- Representing a US entity as respondent in an ICC arbitration seated in Mauritius brought by a Malagasy claimant.
- Representing a US company as claimant against a Jordanian respondent in an ICC arbitration seated in Abu Dhabi.
- Representing a US entity as respondent in an ICC arbitration seated in London brought by a Korean claimant.
- Representing an Indian company as respondent in an LCIA arbitration seated in Singapore brought by a Japanese claimant.
- Representing a BVI company as claimant in an LCIA arbitration seated in London against Dutch and Brazilian respondents.
- Representing Cayman and BVI entities as respondents in an HKIAC arbitration seated in Hong Kong.
- Representing a Bahraini industrial company as claimant in an ICDR arbitration against a US manufacturing company as respondent, as well as in related litigation before US federal courts.
- Burton Award for Excellence in Legal Writing (2012)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- NYSBA (International Section)
- ABA (International Law & Practice Section)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- ICC Commission on Arbitration & ADR - Member
- New York International Arbitration Center – Board Member
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration - Advisory Board Member
- International Arbitration Club of New York - Member
- Casting for Recovery – Board Chair
- New York~United States (2003)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- Dubai International Financial Centre Court~United Arab Emirates (2008)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2007)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (2003)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States (2003)
- St. John's University, School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2001)
- Colgate University (B.A.) (1998)