Jim Dries has represented clients in high-stakes litigation and investigations for more than 40 years. Jim has been a featured speaker at seminars presented to lawyers, trade groups and clients, and has written on a variety of topics relating to his practice. He served as editor of Dispute Resolution In North America, one of a series of publications in Baker McKenzie’s Global Dispute Resolution library designed to provide the Firm’s international clients with education and insight into dispute resolution practices and procedures throughout the world.
Jim has successfully litigated complex cases on behalf of an array of corporate clients, including banks, manufacturers, and insurers, and has tried numerous cases to verdict. He has represented clients in a wide variety of contested matters throughout the United States and before national and international arbitral panels. Jim has also been extensively involved in representing banks participating in the Program For Non-Prosecution Agreements Or Non-Target Letters For Swiss Banks.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented several Swiss banks in Program For Non-Prosecution Agreements Or Non-Target Letters For Swiss Banks and served on a team that coordinated Firm's representation of nearly 20 other Swiss banks in the program.
- Obtained dismissal of USD 40 million post-acquisition indemnity claim brought against telecom client following the sale of its interest in Russian subsidiaries in an ICDR Arbitration.
- Obtained dismissal of USD 12 million lawsuit brought by distributor against client, a UK manufacturer of single use medical supplies in the U.S. Dist. Ct., N.D. Ill.
- Obtained dismissal of attempted nationwide bilateral class action brought against client involving the sale of allegedly defective automobiles in the U.S. Dist. Ct., N.D. Ill.
- Obtained dismissal of USD 30 million False Claims Act Suit in the U.S. Dist. Ct., N.D. Cal.
- Successfully defended and resolved attempt to reach surety bonds with injury and death claims arising from the much-publicized scaffold collapse during the curtain wall restoration project on Chicago's Hancock Building.
- Successfully defended and resolved claims against construction manager arising out of catastrophic crane collapse during construction of the retractable roof at Miller Park Stadium in Milwaukee, WI, resulting in multiple deaths, injuries, property damages and suits.
- Obtained USD 5 million verdict in favor of automobile dealership client in a dispute with manufacturer in the Cir. Ct., Milwaukee County, Wis..
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association - Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- International Bar Association
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association - Insurance and Securities Sections
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2008)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (2002)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2001)
- Illinois~United States (2001)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1994)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin~United States (1974)
- Wisconsin~United States (1974)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin~United States (1974)
- Marquette University Law School (J.D.) (1974)
- Marquette University (B.A.) (1971)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.