Lauren Drake is an associate in the Environmental Markets team at Baker McKenzie, Sydney. Lauren focuses on climate change and renewable energy law. Lauren joined Baker McKenzie in 2013 and also has experience working in the Banking & Finance team. In 2015 Lauren undertook a three month placement at the International Energy Agency in Paris where her role included providing analysis on best practice policy frameworks for supporting renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies, and supporting substantive and organisational aspects of the unit's engagement activities including with the G20.
Lauren advises on climate change policy, focusing on building enabling environments for climate change action in developing countries, along with advising on carbon markets and emissions trading. Lauren also advises multinational renewable energy developers on large scale renewable energy projects, including corporate structuring, project development, project documents, financing and regulation issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising governments and multi-lateral financial institutions on the design and implementation of climate change law and policy and sustainable development laws, with an increasing focus on implementation of the Paris Agreement and legal readiness for climate finance and investment.
- Undertaking developing country capacity building in relation to developing domestic legal capacity, domestic projects and training the local private sector, with a key focus on the rule of law, implementation of the Paris Agreement and REDD+.
- Advising corporate clients and investors on climate mitigation and adaptation strategies and investments and general advice on climate change law and policy.
- Advising major corporations on reporting and compliance requirements under the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme and various iterations of Federal climate change laws including the Emissions Reduction Fund, the Safeguards Mechanism and the Renewable Energy Target.
- Drafting emissions reduction purchase agreements for various Australian and international carbon abatement projects .
- Advising on the development of environmental markets infrastructure including exchange platforms .
- Advising on project structuring and drafting transactional documents for forest conservation and carbon sequestration projects including in Indonesia.
- Advising various wind and solar farm developers on acquisitions, structuring and financing of their projects in Australia.
- Regularly provides legal research and report writing expertise across a range of international climate law and policy matters to support governments, corporate clients and NGOs in developing and interpreting climate change law and policy, designing cross-sectoral projects, and providing thought leadership, focusing on developing countries.
- High Court of Australia (2016)
- New South Wales (2016)
- University of Sydney (Juris Doctor) (2014)
- University of Sydney (BSc (Adv)) (2011)
- Hong Kong
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.