Lisa Douglas is a member of Baker McKenzie’s Technology Practice. She currently focuses on information governance, drawing on a rich background in knowledge management, legal research, and library science to provide compliance advice on the enterprise information lifecycle.
Lisa joined Baker McKenzie’s Toronto office in 1997 as Research Director with responsibility for conducting sophisticated legal research and analysis, directing research projects across all practice groups, managing the library, and establishing a knowledge management system.
Lisa received an Arbor Award from the University of Toronto for her contributions to the Faculty of Information (iSchool) in leading and mentoring Master of Information students. This relationship has enabled her to build a multidisciplinary team to support the information governance practice by integrating professionals with expertise in information design, organization, management, storage, access, and retrieval.
Representative Legal Matters
- Leads global information governance projects across a variety of industries and sectors.
- Prepares global records retention policies and schedules with attention to multi-jurisdictional legal compliance, local best practice, and industry risk in arriving at enterprise-wide solutions.
- Develops holistic tools for ongoing global information governance compliance including innovative client communication tools for updating clients, addressing issues as they arise, and providing comparative and strategic counselling.
- Ontario~Canada (1993)
- University of Toronto (LL.B.) (1991)
- University of Toronto (M.L.S.) (1985)
- Queen's University (B.A.) (1983)
Regular contributor to the Information Governance section of b:INFORM, an online portal of Baker McKenzie’s Global Information Technology & Communications Group regarding legal developments and trends in the data privacy, information governance and technology world
Co-author, "Canada Chapter," Global Overview of Anti-Bribery Laws, Baker McKenzie, 2016
Speaker, “Privacy and Data Protection Concerns,” Common Reporting Standard Compliance, The Canadian Institute: Toronto, 18 October 2016
Speaker, "Information Governance: An Alternative Path to a Successful IT Career," Empowering and Inspiring Women in IT, Hispanotech: Toronto, 29 September 2016
Speaker, "Strategic Risk Management in Global Information Governance," Doing Business Globally, Baker McKenzie, Toronto, 16 October 2015