Michael has extensive experience advising on NPL transactions, sovereign advisory work (including new money deals and sovereign debt restructurings), bond and debt restructurings, and general debt capital markets financings (including all nature of liability management exercises), as well as equity-linked bonds, state-owned entities and agencies, supranationals, sovereign wealth funds, and developed, emerging and frontier markets.
His clients include private equity/credit funds, sovereign governments, investment banks, state-owned entities and state agencies, supranational banks and multinational corporations.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Michael handled the following matters:
- Acted for a leading US private investment fund on deals from 2013.
- Worked with an African sovereign country on a broad sovereign advisory mandate.
- Advised Mozambique on its current debt issues.
- Advised a leading hedge fund on post-default enforcement scenarios in relation to Greece sovereign debt.
- Advised an African sovereign in a USD 200 million term loan facility.
- Represented a major Latin American bank (primarily government owned) on the post-credit crunch re-organisation of its EU operations in seven European jurisdictions
Sovereign wealth fund
- Advised the sovereign wealth fund of a Eurozone member state on the disposal of a financial institution subsidiary of a bailed-out bank.
Equity linked bonds
- Represented an independent AIM-listed, Africa-focused oil and gas exploration company on a series of discrete convertible bond sales to long-term strategic investors.
- Represented a Nigerian oil and gas company on the issuance of convertible bonds to a pan-Africa private equity investor in a tailored pre-IPO financing.
- Supreme Court of England~United Kingdom (1995)
- Northern Ireland (1988)
- Institute of Professional Legal Studies Belfast (1986)
- Queen's University Belfast (LLB with Honors) (1986)