Dennis Dimagiba is a partner in Quisumbing Torres' Tax Practice Group and Healthcare & Life Sciences and Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation Industry Groups. He advises multinational companies with Philippine operations on general tax planning, customs compliance and valuation issues, and represents clients in tax and customs controversies. He also advises private banks on wealth management and tax and legal issues pertaining to high net worth individuals. He has 35 years of experience in his field, and has been recognized as a leading individual in the area of tax by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, International Tax Review and Chambers Asia Pacific. Under his leadership, Quisumbing Torres received the awards for National Tax Firm of the Year (2018-2019) and Tax Disputes Firm of the Year 2010 from the International Tax Review. Dennis is a certified public accountant. He has spoken on Philippine tax updates and wealth management issues in various conferences and presentations locally and abroad. He is a member of the Tax Management Association of the Philippines, where he also served as its president in 2012.
Dennis advises on various aspects of general tax planning, distribution and supply chain tax planning, tax and customs audits and compliance, customs and tax controversies, multinational tax planning for mergers and acquisitions including pre-spin-off and post-acquisition restructuring and corporate restructuring exercises, claims for refunds and tax credits, taxation of commercial and financial transactions, among others. His practice also covers WTO and trade matters as well as tax structuring of mining, infrastructure, oil and gas, power, telecommunications, transportation and privatization projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Handle for a listed software company and its subsidiaries seven ongoing Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) assessments with a substantial aggregate value. Assist in guiding tax examiners through the volume of supporting documents, which requires intimate knowledge of clients' accounting and financial reporting processes.
- Advise and assist an American healthcare company on the tax efficient options to repatriate cash.
- Advise and assist an American healthcare company in obtaining exemption from capital gains tax and donor's tax in relation to the transfer of shares of stock of the two Philippine subsidiaries of Client, pursuant to the reorganization of the various worldwide subsidiaries of Client. Assist in availing of Tax Amnesty following the lapse of seven years from the application of exemption.
- Advise and assist a global logistics company on the tax aspects of the post-acquisition integration of an acquired entity.
- Advise an exclusive distributor of an American Fortune 500 corporation that designs, manufactures, and distributes engines, filtration, and power generation products in the Philippines on local business tax deficiency assessments for calendar years 2013 to 2017.
- Advise a leading music streaming service provider on the proper characterization of payments it was receiving monthly from a partner telecommunications company in the Philippines.
- Advise a US-based global healthcare industry leader on the tax implications of its excess accumulated retained earnings.
- Advise an online hotel booking services on the tax issues related to the client's establishment of a Philippine office, as well as tax issues related to the closing down of the client's representative office.
- Assist and advise an industry-leading manufacturer of water systems equipment and machinery in connection with the deficiency tax assessments issued by the Bureau of Internal Revenue for taxable year 2004.
- Assist a renowned fashion brand in the registration of its different branches with the relevant Revenue District Offices of the Bureau of Internal Revenue and enrolment in the BIR's online systems. Provide advice on various tax matters.
- Leading Individual in Tax, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2007-2020
- Leading Individual in Tax, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2008-2020
- Indirect Tax Leader, International Tax Review, 2017-2019
- Tax Controversy Leader, International Tax Review, 2013-2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Tax Management Association of The Philippines
- Philippines (1985)
- Certified Public Accountant~Philippines (1980)
- Ateneo de Manila University (LL.B.) (1984)
- De La Salle University (B.Sc. Accounting) (1979)
- De La Salle University (A.B. Economics) (1979)
- Co-author, "Proposed Digital Economy Taxation Act of 2020", Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, June 2020
- Co-author, "Bureau of Internal Revenue extends deadline for filing of various returns and payment of taxes due", Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, March 2020
- Co-author, "Extension to File Applications for VAT Refund", Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, March 2020
Co-author, "Financial and Business Crime - Thomson Reuters: Practical Law," Thomson Reuters, 2018
- Co-author, "Building a Legacy-Empowering Family Businesses for Generations," Baker McKenzie, 2017