Dennis Dimagiba heads Quisumbing Torres' Tax Practice Group. He advises multinational companies with Philippine operations on general tax planning, and represents clients in tax , and customs controversies. He also advises private banks on wealth management and tax and legal issues pertaining to high net worth individuals. He has 32 years of experience in his field, and has consistently been recognized as a leading individual in the area of tax by Chambers Asia Pacific and The Legal 500 Asia Pacific. Under his leadership, Quisumbing Torres received the Tax Disputes Firm of the Year Award 2010 from the International Tax Review. He is also a certified public accountant. Dennis has also spoken on Philippine tax updates and wealth management issues in various conferences and presentations locally and abroad. He is a member of the Tax Management Association of the Philippines, where he also served as its president in 2012.
Dennis advises on various aspects of general tax planning, distribution and supply chain tax planning, tax and customs audits and compliance, customs and tax controversies, multinational tax planning for mergers and acquisitions including pre-spin-off and post-acquisition restructuring and corporate restructuring exercises, claims for refunds and tax credits, taxation of commercial and financial transactions, among others. His practice also covers WTO and trade matters as well as tax structuring of mining, infrastructure, oil and gas, power, telecommunications, transportation and privatization projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assist one of the largest US-based electronic commerce retail company on the following matters: (a) Philippine tax implications and entitlement to incentives of a new entity that will provide certain services to Philippine customers, and (b) Philippine tax implications of new product offerings.
- Advise a leading music streaming service provider on the proper characterization of payments it was receiving monthly from a partner telecommunications company in the Philippines.
- Advise a global leading provider of diversified and innovative healthcare solutions on the tax implications of its excess accumulated retained earnings.
- Advise an online hotel booking services on the tax issues related to the client's establishment of a Philippine office, as well as tax issues related to the closing down of the client's representative office.
- Assist and advise an industry-leading manufacturer of water systems equipment and machinery in connection with the deficiency tax assessments issued by the Bureau of Internal Revenue for taxable year 2004.
- Assist a renowned fashion brand in the registration of its different branches with the relevant Revenue District Offices of the Bureau of Internal Revenue and enrolment in the BIR's online systems. Provide advice on various tax matters.
- Advise a global investment advisory firm on the tax and securities law implications of the proposed structure for the establishment of an offshore trust by a Filipino settlor.
- Leading Individual in Tax, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2007-2018
- Leading Individual in Tax, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2008-2018
- Tax Controversy Leader, International Tax Review, 2013-2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
- International Bar Association
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Tax Management Association of The Philippines
- Philippines (1985)
- Certified Public Accountant~Philippines (1980)
- Ateneo de Manila University (LL.B.) (1984)
- De La Salle University (B.Sc. Accounting) (1979)
- De La Salle University (A.B. Economics) (1979)