Arjuna Dibley is a member of Baker McKenzie's Global Environmental Markets and Climate Change practice groups in Melbourne. He has worked on matters related to environment and climate change law and policies globally, including in Australia, Asia, Latin America and Africa. Arjuna is also a member of the Firm’s Law for Development Initiative. In 2014 Arjuna was named best Australian lawyer under 30 years old, by the nationally awarded Australian Law Awards.
Prior to joining the Melbourne office, Arjuna worked in Jakarta as a consultant on law reform projects in Indonesia. In 2016, he was awarded a Sir John Monash Scholarship to study international climate change law and policy at Stanford University.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising governments and multilateral development banks and financial institutions on the design and implementation of climate change law and policy and sustainable development laws with an increasing focus on implementation of the Paris Agreement.
- Undertaking developing country capacity building in relation to developing domestic legal capacity, domestic projects and training the local private sector, with a key focus on the rule of law, implementation of the Paris Agreement and REDD+.
- Advising corporate clients and investors on climate mitigation and adaptation strategies and investments and general advice on climate change law and policy.
- Advising on the development and financing of renewable energy and bio-fuels projects.
- Developing and structuring conservation finance projects and results based payments partnerships and advising on public-private partnerships to in relation to sustainable land management. This has included developing ecosystem and biodiversity corridors and reserves.
- Advising on the development of environmental markets infrastructure including trading frameworks and exchange platforms, market registries and escrow arrangements.
- Providing advice on the development and implementation of domestic and international emission reduction projects and the trading in carbon and broader environmental rights.
- Advising on the establishment of renewable energy and environmental markets funds (especially in relation to carbon, forests, water and biodiversity) and their ongoing investment programs.
- Advising on the resolution of climate change project disputes, including in negotiations and international mediation and arbitration.
- Australian Law Awards, Young Gun of the Year, 2014
- Davos Australian Leadership Award, 2013
- Prime Minister's Australia Asia Endeavour Award, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Asia - Member
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Indonesia Australia Business Council - Member
- Supreme Court of Victoria~Australia (2013)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2012)
- Supreme Court of New South Wales~Australia (2012)
- Australian National University (LL.B. Honors) (2012)
- Australian National University (B. Asian and Pacific Studies Honors) (2012)