Maria Fernanda Diago is a member of the Firm's Banking, Finance & Major Projects practice group in New York. She has more than six years of experience advising clients on banking and finance matters, capital markets, private equity, derivatives, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters, including in the Republic of Colombia and in New York.
Maria has represented financial institutions, private equity funds and leading corporate entities in cross-border financings, debt and equity securities offerings, hedging transactions and corporate acquisitions, with a focus in Latin America. While in Colombia, she also advised clients in corporate, securities, derivatives and banking regulatory and compliance matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a project company of US power plants in the USD 250 million refinancing of bonds and private placement notes.
- Represented a consortium of private equity firms in the acquisition of a 205 MW thermoelectric power plant, its financing and re-financing.
- Represented a syndicate of institutional investors in the acquisition of a 5% equity interest in an oil transportation company and the transportation rights of an oil pipeline, as well as in its financing and its hedging transactions.
- Represented a sovereign fund in the restructuring of its investment in a Latin American conglomerate and in the structuring of security interests granted to them in Colombia.
- Represented the issuer, one of the largest oil and gas companies in Latin America, in three registered bond offerings under Rule 144A and Regulation S for an aggregate USD 3 billion.
- Represented the initial purchasers in the Rule 144A / Reg S Eurobond offering of a food company for EUR 600 million.
- Represented the initial purchasers in the Rule 144A / Regulation S Eurobond offering of an auto parts manufacturer for EUR 500 million.
- Represented the issuer, a Mexican financial services company, in a liability management transaction that included the issuance of global notes under a Rule 144A / Regulation S offering for USD 400 million and the cash tender offer for the purchase outstanding bonds.
- Represented the initial purchasers in the Rule 144A / Regulation S global offering of notes of a glass manufacturing company for USD 210 million.
- Represented the initial purchasers in the Rule 144A / Regulation S offering of notes of a Latin American airline for USD 400 million.
- Represented the initial purchasers in the Rule 144A / Regulation S offering of subordinated notes of a large bank for USD 400 million.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2017)
- Colombia (2011)
- Duke University School of Law (LLM and Business Law Certificate) (2016)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (Specialization Capital Markets and Banking Law) (2013)
- Universidad de Los Andes (Law Degree) (2011)