Francois Desmarais is an associate in the Corporate Transactions Practice Group of Baker McKenzie's Toronto office. He represents clients in connection with a wide variety of corporate and capital markets transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, spin-oﬀs, joint ventures and minority investments, as well as public financings and private placements, corporate governance and securities law compliance matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Mercedes-Benz Group AG on the sale of the corporate-owned Mercedes-Benz dealerships in the Greater Toronto Area to the AWIN Group of Dealerships and Zanchin Automotive Group.
- Advised Affirm, Inc. on its acquisition of PayBright Inc. for total cash and equity consideration of CAD 340 million.
- Advised a large public mining company on the spin merge sale of its oil and gas portfolio.
- Advised a precious metals trader and financier in its role as lender of secured precious metal loans to several publicly-listed junior mining companies.
- Advised a healthcare investment bank in its capacity as an underwriter or agent in the context of several prospectus and private placement securities offerings.
- Advised a mining investment bank in its capacity as an agent in the context of private placements of public company securities.
- Advised NeuPath Health Inc. on its TSX Venture Exchange listing by way of its reverse takeover of Klinik Health Ventures Corp.
- Advised the boards of directors and officers of several Canadian public and private corporations with respect to corporate governance matters.
Prior to joining the Firm, Francois advised on the following matters:
- Advised a Canadian cannabis retailer on its initial public offering on the Canadian Securities Exchange as well as its related private placement.
- Advised a Canadian cannabis extraction services provider on its Canadian Securities Exchange listing by way of reverse takeover.
- Ontario~Canada (2017)
- University of Ottawa (J.D.) (2016)
- University of Ottawa (M.B.A.) (2016)
- Laurentian University (B.Sc. Chemistry) (2011)
- Co-author, "Hostile Takeover Bids: Offeror Strategies and Defensive Tactics" portion of the "Capital Markets and M&A" practice area in Lexis Practice Advisor, a legal research tool published by LexisNexis in Canada, May 2022
- Co-author, "Timely Disclosure Requirements" portion of the "Capital Markets and M&A" practice area in Lexis Practice Advisor, a legal research tool published by LexisNexis in Canada, May 2022
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.