Jo Delaney is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution team in Sydney. Jo has more than 14 years of experience as counsel in complex cross-border disputes based in Sydney and London, most of which were resolved through international arbitration.
Jo re-joined Baker McKenzie in 2013, having spent her first two years as a graduate lawyer in the Sydney office. In the intervening time, Jo developed her international arbitration experience at a preeminent arbitration practice London.
Jo has experience in commercial, construction and investment arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA, SIAC, AAA, UNCITRAL and ICSID arbitration rules. That experience covers a diverse range of industries including energy, resources and infrastructure, general construction, and telecommunications and information technology.
Representative Legal Matters
Representing both investors and State parties in a number of investment arbitrations under the ICSID Convention and arbitration rules and the UNCITRAL Arbitral Rules, including Ronald S. Lauder v The Czech Republic, CME Czech Republic BV v The Czech Republic CME (UNCITRAL) and Babawet Al Kuwait Holdings Co v Arab Republic of Egypt (ICSID).
Representing private parties in a number of commercial arbitrations under the LCIA, AAA, SIAC and UNCITRAL Rules including a commercial dispute in a AAA arbitration regarding an investment in India, an Asian company in an ICC arbitration regarding the construction of a refinery project in Turkey, and an Asian company in a SIAC arbitration regarding a dispute relating to an Indian mobile phone operator.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australasian Forum for International Arbitration - General Committee
- International Law Association - Australian Branch
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) - Member
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration - Member
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) - Young Lawyers Division
- Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration - Member
- Arbitral Women - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Australian Branch) - Councillor
- New South Wales~Australia
- England & Wales~United Kingdom
- University of New South Wales (BA, LLB)
- University of Cambridge (LLM)
Co-author (with A. Sheppard), "Public Policy and the Finality of Awards," Indian Journal of Alternate Dispute Resolution, 2011
Author, "The Use of MFN Clauses in ICSID Arbitrations," 21(2) National Law School of India Review, 2009
Co-author (with D. Magraw), "Procedural Transparency," The Oxford Handbook of International and Investment Law, P. Muchlinski, F. Ortino and C. Schreuer (eds) (OUP), 2008
Co-author (with K. Lewis), "Arbitration Agreements: Separability, Arbitrability and Presumptive Approach - A Comparison between England and Australia," University of New South Wales Law Journal, 2008