Jo Delaney is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution team in Sydney. Jo has more than 14 years of experience as counsel in complex cross-border disputes based in Sydney and London, most of which were resolved through international arbitration.
Jo re-joined Baker McKenzie in 2013, having spent her first two years as a graduate lawyer in the Sydney office. In the intervening time, Jo developed her international arbitration experience at a preeminent arbitration practice London.
Jo has experience in commercial, construction and investment arbitrations under the ICC, LCIA, SIAC, AAA, UNCITRAL and ICSID arbitration rules. That experience covers a diverse range of industries including energy, resources and infrastructure, general construction, and telecommunications and information technology.
Representative Legal Matters
Representing both investors and State parties in a number of investment arbitrations under the ICSID Convention and arbitration rules and the UNCITRAL Arbitral Rules, including Ronald S. Lauder v The Czech Republic, CME Czech Republic BV v The Czech Republic CME (UNCITRAL) and Babawet Al Kuwait Holdings Co v Arab Republic of Egypt (ICSID).
Representing private parties in a number of commercial arbitrations under the LCIA, AAA, SIAC and UNCITRAL Rules including a commercial dispute in a AAA arbitration regarding an investment in India, an Asian company in an ICC arbitration regarding the construction of a refinery project in Turkey, and an Asian company in a SIAC arbitration regarding a dispute relating to an Indian mobile phone operator.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australasian Forum for International Arbitration - General Committee
- International Law Association - Australian Branch
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) - Member
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration - Member
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) - Young Lawyers Division
- Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration - Member
- Arbitral Women - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Australian Branch) - Councillor
- New South Wales~Australia
- England & Wales~United Kingdom
- University of New South Wales (BA, LLB)
- University of Cambridge (LLM)