Richard Dean is a partner in the Firm’s Washington, DC office and focuses on the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and related legislation, including US money laundering laws and their application to the activities of global companies in emerging markets such as the former Soviet Union, China, Indonesia and Latin America. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Mr. Dean worked at Coudert Brothers’ New York, Sydney, Moscow and Washington, DC offices, and was head of that firm’s Russia and Central Asia Practice from 1988 to 2005. He has an in-depth understanding of the key political, economic and cultural issues facing organizations doing business in these challenging markets.
Mr. Dean advises on the structuring of foreign investment transactions to comply with U.S. laws; supervises the conduct of internal investigations and audits to determine compliance with laws and regulations, including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act; and advises senior management and corporate audit committees on the consequences of such investigations and audits, including the development of appropriate defenses, disclosures, disciplinary actions and compliance policies. His practice includes representing multinational companies before the U.S. Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission in connection with FCPA and related matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- U.S. - Russia Business Council - Member of the Board of Directors and of the Executive Committee
- University of Virginia School of Law - Lecturer on Emerging Markets; International Financial Crime
- Russian-American Institute in Moscow - Trustee
- EndPoverty.org (not-for-profit microenterprise lending organization) - Member, Board of Directors
- District of Columbia~United States (1995)
- New York~United States (1981)
- University of Virginia (J.D.) (1980)
- University of Virginia (Master of Arts) (1980)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A.) (1977)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.