Michaël De Vroey is a senior associate in the IP Practice Group in the Antwerp office. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2011, Michaël worked for a local Belgian top tier firm and was seconded during a year to a multinational pharmaceutical company.
Michaël has nearly 10 years of experience in advising multinationals and SMEs on various aspects of Belgian and EU law, and defending their interests before the courts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defended 15 companies of a major medical technology group in an infringement action and a subsequent damage action brought by a competitor for infringement of a patent covering a "needle guard assembly for hypodermic needles."
- Represented a British Consumer Goods & Retail company in two trade mark infringement and unfair competition proceedings against a local competitor for putting a look-alike product on the market.
- Defended a manufacturer of household appliances in a design infringement claim brought by a Dutch technology company for infringement of its design rights in a new type of fryer.
- Replaced the Legal Counsel of Unilever Benelux during an eight-month secondment and advising the Business and Management on all legal issues, including marketing, IP, compliance, regulatory, product liability, contracts, etc.
- Advised an American multinational agrochemical and agricultural biotechnology corporation on the protection of biotechnological inventions as trade secrets under EU law.
- Advised an American multinational technology company on digital broadcasting rights and music licensing requirements under Belgian media law.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- IE-forum.be - Member of the Editorial Board
- The Benelux Association for Trademarks and Designs (BMM) - Member
- The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) - Member
- The Belgian National Association for the Protection of Industrial Property (BNVBIE) - Member
- Antwerp~Belgium (2008)
- King's College London, UK (LLM Intellectual Property Law) (2008)
- University of Antwerp (Law Degree cum laude) (2007)
Co-author, "Mode & Recht," Intersentia, 2018
Co-author, "Arbitration Yearbook," Baker McKenzie 2012-2018
Co-author, "IP Eye on anti-counterfeiting," Baker McKenzie 2012-2018
Co-author, "Global Patent Litigation Handbook," Baker McKenzie 2015/2017
Co-author, "Global Trade Secrets Handbook," Baker McKenzie 2017