Antoine De Raeve is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Brussels office and heads the Belgian Banking & Finance Practice Group. He is also a member of the EMEA steering committee for banking and finance. He has a broad background in international finance, and principally advises clients on transactional loans and credit facilities.
Antoine's practice focuses on acquisition finance, syndicated lending, trade finance and real estate finance. He represents both lenders and (corporate) borrowers and regularly assists domestic and foreign parties by leading and coordinating multijurisdictional financing transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as counsel to Nyrstar and its affiliates on a variety of different financings, including a.o. a EUR400 million borrowing base facility lead-arranged by Deutsche Bank, and a heavily structured USD150 million zinc prepay arrangement arranged by Deutsche Bank and linked to the delivery of physical metal to Dutch metals trader Trafigura.
- Acted as counsel to a syndicate of lenders consisting of KBC Bank, BNP Paribas Fortis, HSBC Bank, JP Morgan, Barclays Bank and Société Générale in a EUR300 million revolving loan facility for Cofinimmo SA/NV, the listed property investor in healthcare real estate.
- Acted for a club of Belgian and Luxembourg banks led by BNP Paribas Fortis in a EUR183 million financing of the high-profile real estate development project “Royal Hamilius” in the centre of the City of Luxembourg, awarded to Codic International SA/NV and also involving the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.
- Acted as Belgian counsel to Estée Lauder in connection with USD1.5 billion credit facilities lead-arranged by JPMorgan, Citibank, BNP Paribas, Banc of America Merrill Lynch and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi.
- Acted as counsel to ING Belgium, Belfius Bank, BNP Paribas Fortis and KBC Bank on a EUR300 million revolving facility agreement for bpost SA/NV, the Belgian postal service.
- Honorary Fellow, Belgian-American Educational Foundation, 1991-Present
- Fullbright Fellow Award, Cornell University, 1990-1991
Professional Associations and Memberships
- European Society for Banking and Financial Law - Member
- Brussels Bar Association - Member
- Vlaams Pleitgenootschap - Member
- Vlaamse Juristenvereniging - Member
- Brussels~Belgium (1991)
- Cornell University (Master of Laws) (1991)
- University of Ghent (Law Degree, maxima cum laude) (1990)