Luis Miguel de Alva, a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s Mexico City office and member of the International Commercial practice group, has been with the Firm since 2011. He regularly works with transportation industry clients on transactional, public policy and regulatory matters, including with the Mexican Civil Aviation Authority (AFAC).
Luis Miguel represents domestic and foreign air carriers, airport operators, airport sponsors, technology companies and drone/unmanned aircraft system stakeholders. He has experience handling regulatory counsel for transportation industry transactions, AFAC authorization matters, regulatory and contractual proceedings with authorities and airports, rulemakings and policy changes, consumer protection issues and regulatory enforcement matters. He also advises on public policy and government relations, having spent one year in Baker McKenzie's Washington, DC office working with the Global Aviation Group. Likewise, Luis Miguel advises non-listed companies on issues relating to corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and planning, including due diligence reviews, transactions and general corporate matters. He is experienced in advising on the day-to-day operations of companies, including airlines, as well as in contracting and consultation. He has also served as adviser and board member to several multinational companies. Likewise, he has broad experience in the franchising sector.
Representative Legal Matters
- Provided support to multinational companies regarding the regularization of particular airports and renewal of their concessions and permits.
- Advised companies in different sectors in the preparation of documentation required to close acquisition processes.
- Advised on and assisted in mergers for companies in different sectors.
- Supported multinational companies on their start-up in Mexico.
- Advised companies regarding the preparation of all documentation required for the securitization of their assets.
- Advised Mexican and multinational companies regarding the preparation and implementation of their commercial agreements.
- Advised multinational companies regarding the requirements and limitations of foreign investments in Mexico.
- Advised foreign airlines on starting operations in Mexico, day-to-day operations, contracting with airports, commercial and regulatory issues involved in the industry, as well as government relations.
- Advised international companies regarding franchising and on their start-up in Mexico.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico A.P.
- Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresar
- Mexico (2007)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Degree Air and Space Law) (2015)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Aeronautics Congress) (2014)
- Universidad Iberoamericana (J.D.) (2007)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.