Louis J. Davis serves as chair of the Firm's North America Oil & Gas Practice and focuses entirely on oil, gas, and mineral law. Louis is Board Certified in oil, gas and mineral law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is an active member of the office's Business Development/Marketing Committee. He is admitted to practice in Texas and Pennsylvania and is a Steering Committee member of the Firm's Global Oil & Gas practice.
Louis has been recognized as a notable practitioner by Chambers USA 2015 and has consistently been named a Texas Super Lawyer in his area of practice by Super Lawyers, and was likewise included in the Houston Business Journal’s List of Who’s Who in Energy in Houston, Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Energy and Natural Resource Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America for Natural Resources Law, Energy Law and Oil and Gas Law. He previously has ranked among the Best Lawyers in Houston by H Texas Magazine and is also AV Preeminent Rated for Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources Law by Martindale-Hubbell.
Louis is highly seasoned in representing oil and gas companies with respect to exploration, production and title matters, in the acquisition and divestiture of producing and non-producing properties, and related property and due diligence matters and issues. His practice includes the preparation and/or review of all types of oil and gas exploration and production related agreements and documents, including purchase and sale agreements and related closing documents and exhibits, joint operating, participation, exploration, farmout, area of mutual interest, confidentiality, land services, transition services, logging, seismic license and seismic permit agreements, oil and gas leases, assignments and conveyances of leasehold, mineral, royalty, overriding royalty, production payment, and net profits interest, surface, subsurface and pipeline easements, and title opinions.
Much of his practice also includes advising and assisting land management and in house counsel of oil and gas exploration companies with respect to lease acquisition and prospect development matters. He also has an active practice representing real estate owners and developers, and ranch owners on oil and gas leasing matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Paloma Partners II LLC, a private-fund-backed oil and gas exploration and production company, and Paloma Resources LLC, one of the members thereof, in the USD 750 million sale of Paloma Partners II, a joint venture that owns oil and gas properties.
- Represented a privately held client in the acquisition of producing properties in Crockett County, Texas, which closed for USD 13.5 million.
- Represented a privately held client in the acquisition of oil and gas properties in Loving County, Texas, which closed for USD 22.5 million.
- Providing various on-going advice to a privately held client in regards to its South Texas exploration and production acquisitions and operations.
- Represented Tokyo-based Toyota in its CAD 602 million acquisition of a 32.5 percent royalty on Canadian oil and gas properties from Encana Corp.
- Represented JGC Corporation, regarding Nexen Inc. selling of a 40 percent working interest in its shale gas lands in the Horn River, Cordova and Liard basins in northeast British Columbia to Japan's Inpex Corp. and JGC Corp. as part of a joint venture agreement, for CAD 700 million (USD 680 million).
- Represented an affiliate of Tokyo based JGC Corporation, JGC Energy Development (USA) Inc. (JEDI), on its USD 65 million acquisition from TriTech I LLC, covering a ten percent interest in (i) several Eagle Ford Shale producing wells and (ii) 65,000 acres of South Texas oil and gas leases.
- Acted as lead counsel for privately held client in multi lease Eagle Ford Shale acquisition.
- Acted as lead oil and gas counsel in USD 103 million dollar acquisition of producing oil and gas assets out of bankruptcy.
- Acted as lead oil and gas property counsel for client in USD 879 million equity divestiture of oil and gas exploration company.
- AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer for Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources Law, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings 2013, 2018
- Listed in Expert Guides, Euromoney's Legal Media Group, Guide to the World's Leading Energy and Natural Resource Lawyers, 2007 - 2018
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, Marquis Who's Who, 2017
- Band 4 in Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional), Chambers USA 2017
- Notable Practitioner in Energy, Oil & Gas (Transactional), Chambers USA 2015
- Recognized Individual in Energy Transactions: Oil & Gas, Legal 500 USA 2017
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Recognized Lawyer in Energy Law and Oil & Gas Law, The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 - 2017
- Recognized Lawyer in Natural Resources Law, The Best Lawyers in America, 2010-2013
- Recognized Lawyer in Energy & Natural Resources, Texas Super Lawyer, 2003-2017
- Listed Individual in American Law, Marqui's Who's Who, 2011-2018
- Listed Individual in the World, Marqui's Who's Who, 2017-2018
- Listed Individual in Houston Business Journal List of Who's Who in Energy in Houston, 2013 - 2016
- Recognized Lawyer, Best Lawyers in Houston, H Texas Magazine, 2004, 2005
- Pennsylvania~United States (2010)
- Texas~United States (1976)
- University of Houston Law Center (JD Order of the Barons, Delta Theta Phi) (1976)
- Southwestern University (BA) (1974)