Rachel is a funds and financial services lawyer who assists clients to undertake domestic and cross-border capital markets and M&A transactions. She works closely with the Firm's private equity, real estate and energy infrastructure groups on transactions such as fund formation, complex M&A transactions, privatisations, and structured investments. A particular area of focus is advising on Australia's foreign investment regime.
In addition to working in the funds sector, Rachel advises both cross-border and domestic clients on a range of matters related to financial services regulation and compliance.
Alongside Rachel's experience as a legal practitioner, she has externally published her research in respect of Australian taxation law and policy.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising investors (including government-backed pension funds) and asset managers in relation to acquiring and/or managing Australian investments.
- Advising on applying for and/or maintaining an Australian financial services licence, Australian credit licence or banking licence.
- Advising HomeCo on the listing of the HomeCo Daily Needs REIT, the largest IPO of 2020, obtaining recognition for client service in the process.
- Advising a MIRA-led consortium in its acquisition of an 88% stake in data centre owner and operator AirTrunk which was valued at AUD 3 billion and subsequent post-completion matters, obtaining a client service award from the Firm in the process.
- Advising CDPQ on a proposed reorganisation of its Australian PPP investments.
- Advised CDPQ in relation to its acquisitions of interests in DP World Australia.
- Advising CDPQ on its proposed acquisition of a developer, owner, and manager of renewable energy generation assets in Australia and New Zealand (Tilt Renewables).
- Advising OTPP on various Australian agricultural land acquisitions.
- Advising OTPP on its acquisition of an increased stake in the Sydney Desalination Plant.
- Advising CC Real on its acquisition of an Australian institutional investment manager / private non-bank debt lender.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Institute of Victoria - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Victorian Women Lawyers - Member
- Alternative Investment Management Association - Member
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2018)
- Victoria~Australia (2017)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice) (2017)
- University of Melbourne (JD) (2016)
- University of New South Wales (Master Criminal Justice and Criminology) (2013)
- University of British Columbia (BA) (2012)
- Co-author with Professor Miranda Stewart, "The Gatekeeper Court: For the Revenue or For the Taxpayer?" in James Stellios and Pauline Ridge (eds), The Federal Court's Contribution to Australian Law: Past, Present and Future (Federation Press, 2018)
- Co-author with Professor Miranda Stewart, "The Gatekeeper Court: For the Revenue or For the Taxpayer?" (Working Paper, 2018)