Martin David is a principal in the Finance and Projects Practice Group at Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow and heads the Projects practice in Asia Pacific and Singapore. He is a former civil engineer and has market-leading experience in relation to greenfield IPPs in Asia, particularly in the renewables sector (wind and geothermal).
Martin is a specialist projects and infrastructure lawyer with particular experience in projects, project finance, energy M&A, general finance and international construction. He has over 25 years of experience in Asia, acting both for sponsors and lenders (including multilateral agencies) on the full range of infrastructure projects and project financings, with particular strengths in renewables, conventional power, telecommunications, petrochemicals and roads.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for the lenders on the financing of 30MW solar power projects in Mongolia (the first solar power projects in Mongolia to be developed and financed by international investors and lenders), including full due diligence and drafting and negotiating the financing documents (financial close in March 2019).
- Acting for Sembcorp and their local partner on the IFC-backed development and financing of the 400MW Sirajganj gas/oil-fired greenfield power project in Bangladesh (Asia Pacific Deal of the Year - Power by IJGlobal Awards 2017 and Asia Business Law Journal's Deal of the Year 2017).
- Acting on the development and financing of the 60MW Hasang hydro project, Indonesia, including all aspects of the drafting and negotiation of the project and financing documents (Asia Pacific Deal of the Year - Hydro by IJGlobal Awards 2016).
- Advising Newcom and Softbank on the 50MW Tsetsii Wind Farm in Mongolia, including leading the team on the finalisation of the project documents and on the limited recourse financing by JICA and EBRD (Asia Pacific Deal of the Year - Wind by IJGlobal Awards 2016).
- Advising Mitsui and Gulf Energy Development Company in connection with the project financing of the development and construction of 2,500MW natural gas-fired power project to be financed by international and Thai lenders including JBIC and ADB.
- Acted for Bangkok Bank as lead arranger in the USD 2 billion project financing of the MRT Pink Line Yellow Line monorail extension projects in Thailand.
- Advising Cleantech Solar Asia on its strategic partnership with Climate Fund Managers (CFM) by way of a material equity investment by CFM and advising Shell Energy Ventures on its strategic investment into Cleantech Solar Asia. These involved reviewing the regulatory regime across a number of jurisdictions and assisting in ongoing development of solar rooftop projects as well as negotiating the investment agreements.
- Acting for BP as the operator of the Tangguh LNG Project (the largest LNG Project being undertaken in the world at that time), including drafting and negotiating the contract for the development of the Liquefaction Facility (over a period of 18 months, including negotiation with the three bidders followed by selection), together with the drafting and negotiation of the 3 platform and pipeline contacts (from the 3 gas fields).
- Acted for a club of banks on the successful project financing of a PDH and polypropylene plant in Thailand (Project Finance International Petrochemical Deal of the Year).
- Acted for the Statutory Body (Government Authority) on the development of the first social infrastructure PPP project to reach financial close. A USD 700 million development of the ITE College East, including drafting the tender documentation and negotiating with the successful consortium a bankable PPP Agreement together with related documents.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~North America (1990)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1990)
- City of London Polytechnic (C.P.E.) (1987)
- City of London Polytechnic (Bachelor of Applied Science) (1987)
- University of Birmingham (B.Sc. Engineering) (1983)
- University of Birmingham (LL.B. Engineering) (1983)
Baker & McKenzie.Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.