Mona Dajani is a partner in the New York and Chicago offices of Baker McKenzie and is an elected member of the Steering Committee for the Banking and Finance Group. She has served for more than 20 years as the lead lawyer in complex acquisitions, dispositions, financing and project development transactions involving energy and infrastructure facilities in the United States and around the world.
She focuses her global practice on project finance, corporate finance, mergers & acquisitions, portfolio acquisitions, tax equity, construction and/or restructuring for government and private clients involving energy and infrastructure projects. She has particular expertise with respect to syndicated loan and debt capital markets transactions, specialized structured financings, Rule 144A bond financings, syndicated commercial bank debt, commercial paper programs, export credit agencies and other government guaranteed financing and risk insurance programs; and arranging capital for new and established energy and infrastructure companies. She has represented a wide variety of commercial and public institutions, sponsors, utilities, financial institutions, underwriters, energy and clean technology companies, private equity funds, investment banks and multilateral agencies in transactions throughout the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
- Mona has been recognized as a leading lawyer by The Best Lawyers in America, Legal 500, IFLR1000, Rising Legal Stars, Law 360, The Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2017 and other publications. In 2017, she was appointed as a Fellow to the Construction Lawyers Society, an accolade given to only 42 lawyers. She was elected to the national Board of Directors for the American Council of Renewable Energy (ACORE) in 2015.
- Mona is also a regular contributor and commentator for International Financial Times, CNN Radio, POLITICO, Bloomberg Energy, FOX News, New York Times, The Washington Post, National Public Radio and USA Today, among others.
Mona has extensive experience structuring and negotiating joint ventures, project contracts and financing documents with the development, financing, purchase, and sale of complex energy and infrastructure projects with special expertise in energy, transportation, industrial and water sectors (including renewable energy, petrochemicals, oil and gas, LNG and power generation-related matters).
She is an author and contributes to Energy Law and Transactions, a seven volume comprehensive treatise that covers all traditional energy sources, such as oil, gas, electricity, and coal, as well as nontraditional energy technologies and sources, such as hydroelectricity, solar, nuclear, biomass, and cogeneration — from exploration and production through transmission, distribution, and final consumption by the end-user.
- Women in the Law Nominated by their Peers, Best Lawyers, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Council on Renewable Energy - Board of Directors
- American Bar Association - Vice Chair, Project Finance of the Energy Infrastructure & Siting Committee
- The Energy Lawyers Network - Member
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts - Member
- The Institute for Energy Law - International Section
- American Bar Association - Energy and Resources
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) - Member
- United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Chicago - Board of Directors
- New York~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1996)
- Illinois~United States (1996)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (1996)
- University of St. Thomas (1992)
- University of Illinois (1988)