Chuck has appeared before federal agencies and in state and federal courts throughout the US. He has handled antitrust and trade matters in Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, India and South Africa, and coordinated antitrust legal compliance matters in over two dozen overseas jurisdictions. His experience includes general commercial litigation, antitrust litigation, and representation of companies in government and grand jury investigations. He has counseled on antitrust merger clearances — at home and abroad — in connection with acquisitions in the coal, industrial gases, household and agricultural insecticides, and fertilizer industries.
Chuck is a leading adviser on export antitrust matters with over 40 years of continuous experience. He counsels on competition law applicable to joint venture export corporations, and has advised on antitrust exemptions and a broad range of corporate-related matters, including joint venture agreements, corporate procedures and compliance, and export sales and distribution contracts. He has also worked extensively on matters relating to industrial chemicals, fertilizers, oil, electrical contracting, gasoline, moving and storage, and paper industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a Chinese defendant in price-fixing class actions involving landmark foreign sovereign compulsion and international comity issues, the first to be brought in US courts against Chinese defendants.
- Successfully defended export exemption in landmark case interpreting the Webb-Pomerene Act.
- Coordinated the defense and successful appeal of the first case litigated under the South African Competition Act to be brought before the South African Supreme Court.
- Coordinated the successful defense of an antitrust case under India's Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Act. The case was dismissed by the Indian Supreme Court in a landmark opinion.
- Represented a major cosmetics company in an accounting arbitration and subsequent judicial confirmation of arbitral award in client's favor.
- Successfully defended clients in bid rigging and False Claims Act litigation in the electrical contracting and moving and storage industries.
- Representing the world’s largest fertilizer and soda ash exporters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law360 - Member, 2011-2016 Advisory Competition Boards
- American Bar Association - Antitrust and International Law Sections
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (1996)
- U.S. Court of International Trade~United States (1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit~United States (1995)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit~United States (1991)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit~United States (1991)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (1982)
- New York~United States (1976)
- Columbia Law School (J.D. James Kent Scholar) (1975)
- Yale University (B.A. summa cum laude, honors with exceptional distinction) (1972)
"Recent developments in US competition law," IFLR, 2014
"Fresh Lessons On The FTAIA Foreign Commerce Exclusion," October 2011
"National Security’ and Chinese Merger Review – A Comparative Discussion," March 2011
Speaker, 2009 China Update - China in a Faltering World Economy-Implications for American Businesses, 19 May 2009
"Vertical Price Fixing No Longer Per Se Illegal," June 2007