Richard Cremieux has extensive experience in representing clients in the purchase, sale, exchange, development (including land use issues), construction, financing, leasing and management of commercial real estate of all types, with a concentration in hotel and resort properties. Mr. Cremieux is the Chairman of the Firm’s North American Hotels, Resorts, and Tourism Practice Group. He is currently in the Expert Guide to World's Leading Lawyers as one of the top real estate lawyers in the United States, and is recognized in the 2015 edition of The Legal 500 as a leading professional in hotel and resort development.
Mr. Cremieux’s practice focuses on hospitality related transactions, including representation of both hotel owners and hotel managers in the structure and negotiation of hotel management agreements and related franchise and branding documentation. Mr. Cremieux also represents clients in complex real estate financings and workouts, the structuring of project delivery arrangements including complex design-build arrangements, and common ownership law including condominium, cooperative, and club regimes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised in a joint venture in the USD209 million sale of six four-star hotel properties located in different states.
- Represented a luxury international hotel ownership and management company in a USD590 million hotel/condominium development prospect and workout in New York City. Represented a US luxury hotel and resort company in structuring and closing a USD425 million direct to capital markets financing transaction, secured by five luxury hotel properties across the continental United States, Hawaii, and Mexico.
- Represented the purchaser in the phased acquisition of stock to acquire a majority ownership and reflagging of a premier five-star luxury boutique hotel property in the Caribbean.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of a USD101 million luxury hotel complex, including related condominiums and land for future development purposes, in Los Cabos, Mexico.
- Advised in a joint venture ownership in the sale of a USD105 million four star hotel property located near O’Hare International Airport.
- Represented a purchaser in the acquisition of a USD275 million premier luxury hotel in New York City.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of a USD40 million non-equity golf course/country club in Montecito, California.
Recognized in Real Estate Law, Best Lawyers in America, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois~United States (1976)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D.) (1976)
- Loyola University, Chicago (B.A.) (1969)