Sharona Coutts is an associate in the Environmental Markets team at Baker McKenzie, with a focus on climate change law and policy. Based in Sydney, Sharona advises governments and corporations within Australia and around the world on legal issues relating to climate change, including policy, legislation, as well as legal risks and how to manage them.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Sharona spent nearly two decades as an investigative reporter, editor and executive, based mostly in New York City and Los Angeles. Her work spurred criminal investigations, legal reforms, and was recognised through professional accolades. She brings that experience to her legal work, providing clients with accurate, actionable products that are written in crisp language that is easy to grasp and use.
She served as Associate to Justice Michael McHugh QC, AC at the High Court of Australia in 2005.
- Councillor, Harvard Club of Australia
- New South Wales~Australia (2019)
- High Court of Australia (2019)
- Columbia University (Master of Science (MS) (Hons) Investigative Journalism) (2008)
- University of New South Wales (Bachelor of Laws / Bachelor of Arts (BA/LLB)) (2005)
- Harvard Law School (Visiting Student) (2004)