Álvaro Correa-Ordóñez leads Baker McKenzie's Intellectual Property Practice Group in Bogota. He has been a member of the Firm since 1976 and was admitted as international partner in 1987. Under his leadership, the practice has been consistently ranked in Tier 1 for Intellectual Property by international publications such as Chambers & Partners and Legal 500.Mr. Correa-Ordóñez is also an intellectual property lecturer in different universities in the country, and was a professor in graduate programs at the Universidad del Rosario and at the Universidad Católica.
Mr. Correa-Ordóñez is actively involved in all intellectual property matters. His practice includes the planning, execution and direction of intellectual property protection strategies, as well as advising on infringement and unfair competition matters. Mr. Correa-Ordóñez likewise assists clients in the registration and licensing of intellectual property in Colombia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised major pharmaceutical, apparel, foodstuffs and services companies in the implementation of comprehensive strategies concerning trademark and copyright registration, licensing, enforcement and anti-piracy programs to ensure complete protection of their intellectual property rights.
- Coordinated and managed regional portfolios for a number of clients, including Productos Familia, Caterpillar, Starbucks, McDonalds, Grupo Éxito, Pfizer, Diageo and Bristol-Myers Squibb, among others.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Inter-American Association of Industrial Property
- Colombia (1978)
- Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario (J.D.) (1978)