Kevin Coon acts as counsel, and as trusted and strategic adviser to government, corporate and not-for-profit organizations, on human resource, regulatory, compliance and risk management, with emphasis on international labour standards; corporate social responsibility; ethics; codes of conduct; due diligence; human rights; workplace investigations; occupational health and safety; collective bargaining; workplace harassment; positive employee relations; local and global labour relations; government relations. Mr. Coon is certified as a specialist in Labour Law by the Law Society of Upper Canada and has been ranked as a leading management side labour and employment lawyer in Canada by Who's Who Legal: Canada 2012 and recognized by Legal 500 2015 for labour and employment.
Mr. Coon assists with the interpretation and application of local and international labour and human rights, ethics, compliance, human rights, and employment laws and practices. He develops and implements employment and workplace policies and codes of conduct for global and local enterprizes. He has assisted clients with understanding, complying and responding to complaints under the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Employers, the Global Compact, ILO Freedom of Association Committee, the North American Agreement on Labour Co-operation, the International Finance Corporation Performance Standards, the Equator Principles, the Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative and tax reporting requirements and other international human rights guidelines and standards. Mr. Coon conducts workplace investigations and audits related to respect in the workplace, harassment, human rights issues and other compliance issues. In addition, Mr. Coon provides representation and advocacy before various Courts, Coroners Inquest, Administrative Tribunals and Arbitrators. He has been retained as an expert on corporate social responsibility, international labour standards and global labour relations.
United Nations - International Labour Organization (ILO) + Human Rights
- Member of the United Nations Global Compact Advisory Group on Supply Chain Sustainability 2015 to present.
- Employer Representative and Employer Spokesperson to the ILO Committee of Experts on Working Time Arrangements, October 2011.
- Employer Representative on the Canadian Delegation to the United Nations International Labour Organization International Labour Conference in 2002-2005, 2007-2010 in Geneva, Switzerland; Participated on:
- the Committee “Application of International Labour Standards” in member countries,
- the Committee and Drafting Committee considering “Decent Work and the Informal Economy” and
- the Committee and Drafting Committee creating the international labour standard on “HIV/AIDS in the World of Work”, Resolution 200.
- Selected to the Canadian Delegation at the Fifteenth American Regional Tri-Partite Meeting of the ILO in Peru, December 2002 and addressed issues related to the Director General ’s Report on the “Social Dimensions of Globalization ” and “Crisis and Globalization: Possible Answers ”.
- Selected as a member of the ILO Committee of Experts session on Corporate Social Responsibility, 2005.
- Certified Specialist in Labour Law, Law Society of Upper Canada, June 2016.
- Certified as a Corporate Compliance and Ethics Professional, US Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, September 2011.
- Chair Policy Committee Baker McKenzie International, 2016-2019
- Managing Partner Baker McKenzie Toronto, 2012-Present
- Served as Professional Development and Recruitment Partner for the Toronto office from 1999 to 2002.
- North American Representative on Global Firm Talent Management Committee, 2002-2006.
- Practice Group Leader, Toronto.
Government of Canada
- Special Assistant, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, 1983-84.
- Parliamentary Assistant, Member of Parliament, House of Commons, 1982-83.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Special Constable, 1985.
Government of Ontario, Canada
- Senior Policy Advisor, Minister of Labour for Ontario, 1989-90; Advisor to the Minister on the development of labour and employment policy, programs and legislation.
- Colorado Center for Leadership, 2009, Baker McKenzie LLP Intensive Partner Training
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Organization of Employers
- United States Council for International Business
- Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Employers Council - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1989)
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University (Executive Management Program) (2000)
- University of Western Ontario (LL.B.) (1987)
- University of Windsor (B.A. Economics and International Relations) (1982)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.