Kevin has a highly developed sense of legal and business judgement and is an astute and effective identifier of risk, both at a local and global perspective, gained through extensive experience as a risk, compliance and ethics advisor to businesses and Boards of Directors. He possesses unique particular knowledge on international and human rights, ESG, human resources, workplace and regulatory law, including training and complex workplace and regulatory investigations. Kevin brings a global perspective to his approach to legal and risk issues that has been enhanced by significant leadership responsibilities within a diverse and complex multicultural organizational setting of the global law firm and in international organizations as well as cross border assignments. This has included strategy development, policy, government and stakeholder relations, thought leadership, and advocacy. He has a proven ability to implement and get results, all the while demonstrating political acumen. His extensive, on the ground, labour and employment work includes collective bargaining, stakeholder relationships, mediation, dispute resolution and all aspects of managing human resources, workplace laws and issues.
To enhance his capabilities and foresight on emerging ESG, human and labour rights issues, he sought out extensive active involvement with international labour and human rights through engagement with the ILO, UNGC and other thought leadership organizations and forums. Kevin has assisted clients with understanding, complying and responding to the issues of Business and Human Rights including engagement with and complaints under the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Employers, ILO Freedom of Association Committee, ILO Application of International Labour Standards Committee of Experts, the North American Free Trade Agreement Labour Provisions, the UN Guiding Principles, various Modern Slavery Laws and other emerging international human rights guidelines, laws, norms and standards. He is a trusted advisor and has guided companies to align their enterprise risk management systems with human and labour rights risks, and assisted with union corporate campaigns and tactics. That recognition has resulted in him being retained as an expert on corporate social responsibility, international labour standards and global labour relations.
Kevin engaged significant advocacy before courts, tribunals and government, workplace and Board training and has successfully lead diverse teams.
Ethics, Compliance and Specialist Certifications
- Certified Specialist in Labour Law, Law Society of Upper Canada, (2016-present)
- Certified as a Corporate Compliance and Ethics Professional ("CCEP"), US Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics, (September 2011-present)
Business & Human Rights, Social Dialogue & Policy Advocacy
United Nations Global Compact ("UNGC")
- Representative on the UNGC Action Platform for SDG 16, 2019-present
- One of five members of a Working Group drafting the Framework for the implementation of SDG 16, current
- Led the drafting and country consultations of the UNGC Business for the Rule of Law Framework, 2016
- Selected as a member of the 12 person UNGC Advisory Group on Supply Chain Sustainability 2015 to 2018
- Selected as member of the UNGC Expert Network on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals- 2018 to present
- Participant in the annual UN Annual Business and Human Rights Forum, Geneva.
International Labour Organization ("ILO")
- Selected to the Canadian Delegation at the Fifteenth American Regional Tri-Partite Meeting of the UN International Labour Organization ("ILO") in Peru, 2002 and addressed issues related to the Director General 's Report on the "Social Dimensions of Globalization" and "Crisis and Globalization: Possible Answers"
- Employer Representative on the Canadian Business Delegation to the ILO International Labour Conference in 2002-2005, 2007-2010 in Geneva, Switzerland, and participated in the following:
- the Committee of Experts considering the "Application of International Labour Standards" in member countries;
- the Committee and Drafting Committee considering "Decent Work and the Informal Economy";
- the Committee and Drafting Committee creating the international labour standard on "HIV/AIDS in the World of Work", Resolution 200.
ILO Committees of Experts
- Selected as a representative of Canada to the 6 person business delegation to the tripartite ILO Committee of Experts considering Corporate Social Responsibility, 2005.
- Selected as a representative of the US to the 8 person business delegation as Chair, to the tripartite ILO Committee of Experts considering Working Time Arrangements, 2011.
- Selected as a representative of the US to the 8 person business delegation to the tripartite Committee of Experts considering Cross Border Social Dialogue, 2019.
- Delegate to the Tripartite Roundtable on Labour Administration and Labour Inspection, International Labour Standards for Domestic Workers and International Labour Organization Recommendation (No. 200) on HIV/AIDS in the Workplace. Convened by the Government of Canada.
Other notable related activity
- Partnered with THE B TEAM, to develop "ERADICATING MODERN SLAVERY: A Guide for CEOs".
- Collaborated in the conception and drafting of the annual Thomson Reuters Stop Slavery Award, 2016.
- Prepared White Paper and recommendations in the Human Rights and Mega Sporting Event initiative that led to the establishment of the Secretariat in Geneva, 2016.
- Facilitated and assisted in the establishment of the UNGC Canada Network and support its work (2015-present).
- Advisory Group member and contributor to "The Guide to General Counsel, How to influence the Board of Directors to Drive Sustainability", JLL 2017.
- Co-led a team to research and produce the White Paper on "Managing Corporate Supply Chains: Challenges & Successes in the Fight to Combat Forced Labour and Human Trafficking", for the Trust Women Thomson Reuters Foundation, 2014.
- Co-leading consultation of companies convened by Thomson Reuters with regard to the proposed Human Rights Due Diligence proposal by the EU.
- Devised, collaborated, designed, developed and launched the first innovation lab in Baker McKenzie or any major law firm, as a key driver of the global Firms innovation strategy. Created and nourished an environment where the lab, innovators and innovation could incubate and thrive.
- Hired the first Futurist to join a major law firm in order to drive new ways of critically thinking and considering risk for clients.
- Member of the team awarded the Fluency Award for Ahead of the Curve, for an innovation project on DataComplianceIQ-Baker McKenzie.
- Member of a team awarded the FT Innovative Lawyers Award 2017 in the category of Innovation in Business of Law: Strategy & Changing Behaviors, for “Seeding New Career Paths in Law”.
- Selected to participate in the annual Circle of Human Rights Innovators that is convened by the Institute of Human Rights and Business, 2017- present.
- Awarded the Leading Executive Ally Award by Leaders to be Proud Of and Deloitte, 2019.
- Co-wrote the Converging Crisis thought Leadership publication, 2020.
Hands on Management & Team Leadeship
- Elected Chair of the Global Policy Committee, Baker McKenzie global law firm. Key governance role of $3 billion complex and diverse partnership and Swiss Verien (2016-2019).
- Elected to three terms as Managing Partner Baker McKenzie Toronto, consisting of lawyers and staff of 200+ and annual revenues of $65 million (2012-2019).
- Served as Professional Development and Talent Partner.
- Selected as North American Representative on the Talent Management Committee of the Global Law Firm (2002 - 2006).
- Practice Group Leader-Toronto.
Public Policy, Government Affairs & Stakeholder Engagement
- Special Assistant, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada.
- Parliamentary Assistant, Member of Parliament, House of Commons.
- Senior Policy Advisor, Minister of Labour for Ontario. Advisor to the Minister on the development of labour and employment policy, programs and legislation.
- Special Constable, Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Board Service and Governance
- Member of the Board of Directors, Covenant House Toronto, 2017 to present.
- Advisor and content contributor to Competent Boards Certification.
- Serve as Advisor to the Judging Board of the Annual Thomson Reuters Stop Slavery Award, (2016-present).
Management & Leadership Development
- Colorado Center for Leadership, Intensive Partner Training.
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, Executive Management Program.
Political & Stakeholder Organization
- Have acted as campaign manager, legal advisor and political and stakeholder organizer to multiple political campaigns for candidates seeking election as Member of Parliament, Member of Provincial Parliament, City Councilors and Leadership candidates for Federal political parties.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Organization of Employers
- United States Council for International Business
- United States Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics
U.S. & Canada
- Ontario~Canada (1989)
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University (Executive Management Program) (2000)
- University of Western Ontario (LL.B.) (1987)
- University of Windsor (B.A. Economics and International Relations) (1982)
- Colorado Center for Leadership (Intensive Partner Training)
- "International Labour and Compliance Handbook," Kluwer Law International, Canada Chapter, November 2010
- "Understanding the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act," Canada Law Book, Co-Author
- "On Strike and How to Prevent Getting There," Canadian Manufacturers Association, Co-Author
- "Worldwide Guide to Trade Unions and Works Councils," Baker McKenzie Canada Chapter
- "Worldwide Guide to Termination, Employment Discrimination and Workplace Harassment Laws," Baker McKenzie, Canada Chapter
Selected public speaking, training and thought leadership 2020-21
- Shared Responsibility, Global Solidarity, A Virtual Dialogue on SDG 17 and Public-Private Partnerships, COVID-19 Response and Recovery in the Framework of the 2030 Agenda, USCIB, IOE and UNDESA.
- How can business mitigate the threat of human rights in Global Supply Chains, Thomson Reuters Foundation.
- Growing Modern Slavery legal and regulatory framework, Thomson Reuters Foundation
- Addressing Key Priorities for responsible Business in the Context of COVID 19, Thomson Reuters Foundation.
- Contributing to the new EU legislation on mandatory human rights and environmental due diligence; consultation workshop for Thomson Reuters Foundation.
- Labour Regulations 2020, Challenges and Opportunities of Labour Reform and the Agreement between Canada, Mexico and The US, for Competitividad Laboral Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua.
- Breaking down detail on the Canada Emergency Relief Benefit, BNN Article
- Judicial Developments related to Business and Human Rights, hosted by the International Organization of Employers, the German Business Association, and Deutsche Post.
- Human Rights Risk, Due Diligence and Modern Slavery, the shifting global framework, training for compliance and legal departments of one of the largest global luxury brands.
- Modern Slavery, Canadian Employer Update, Baker McKenzie
- Practical employer issues around #COVID19, BNN interview
- The USMCA-Adoption of International Labour Standards, Future Mobility Forum, Baker McKenzie.
- Employee Health Data Protection and COVID 19, International Organization of Employers, Global Industrial Relations Network.