Alistair Collins is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Banking and Finance Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Alistair is a dual-qualified (English and South African) banking and finance lawyer. He advises on general finance transactions including acquisition, leveraged, trade and commodity, asset backed, securitisation, capital markets, corporate and structured finance. Clients he has advised have been South African, UK, European, Asian and US banks and financial institutions and funds as well as obligors. His focus is on transactional work and assisting clients with structuring advice, document drafting and transaction closures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a South African bank in its purchase of certain Preference Shares from a multi-national investment bank.
- Advised a US multinational bank on the provision of cash management services in various African jurisdictions.
- Advised an offshore export development agency and a South African investment bank as lenders on a USD 600 million facility made available to a South African state owned entity.
- Advised a UK multinational bank on a USD 15 million stock finance facility for a South African metals and commodity trading business.
- Advised a South African bank on the sale of a portfolio of its assets for balance sheet management purposes.
- Advised a syndicate of international banks on the monetising of oil (and oil derivative commodities) in storage.
- Advised a Japanese bank on the marketability of certain of its products in 10 African jurisdictions.
- Advised two European multinational banks on the restructuring of certain credit facilities to a South African gold mining company.
- Advised a US multinational bank on the financing and agency aspects of a transaction related to the acquisition of a South African pharmaceuticals company.
- Advised a South African bank on a range of agri-commodity financing transactions in Liberia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Cape Law Society - Member
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- The Law Society (England & Wales) - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2004)
- South Africa (2000)
- Middlesex University (Diploma: Mechanics of International Trade Finance ) (2016)
- University of South Africa (LLB) (1998)
- University of Cape Town (B.Soc.Sci) (1993)