Jonathan advises and represents multinational companies on a variety of environment, health and safety matters, including product content, dangerous goods transportation, regulated wastes, food and drug safety, extended producer responsibilities and contaminated lands matters. He appears before both EHS tribunals and civil courts across Canada.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and counseled on environmental compliance issues for resource, energy, manufacturing and other production facilities, including matters involving air emissions, water discharges, the management, transportation and disposal of waste, and occupational health and safety obligations across Canada.
- Managed environmental liabilities under provincial/territorial and federal statutory and tort law, including purchase, sale, lease, project development and exit matters.
- Prepared product safety notifications, recalls and other negotiated resolutions with Health Canada, including those under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act.
- Advised on Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act matters, including import, safety documentation, labeling and transit requirements.
- Counseled on Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System compliance, including Globally Harmonized System implementation and related Hazardous Products Act requirements.
- Assisted with product certification/labelling, including under the Canada Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act.
- Designed and implemented environmental compliance programs, sustainability policies and corporate audit initiatives.
- Advised and represented importers and retailers on waste diversion and extended producer responsibility obligations under a myriad of provincial and territorial programs, including waste electronics and electrical equipment, on and off-road tires, used oils, paints, batteries, printed paper and packaging, and other municipal hazard/special waste streams.
- Made strategic voluntary disclosures and negotiated compliance agreements under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act and provincial/territorial equivalents for new substances, notified chemicals, toxic substances and other regulated materials.
- Defended resource development, energy and industrial operations in government enforcement actions under federal/provincial/territorial environmental protection acts and related environmental quality statutes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Canadian Bar Association Ontario, Environmental Law Section - Member
- International Bar Association, Environmental Health and Safety - Member
- Retail Counsel of Canada, Environmental Affairs Section - Member
- Ontario Waste Management Association, Resource Recovery / Energy-from-Waste - Member
- Society for Chemical Hazard Communication - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1998)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B.) (1996)
- University of Western Ontario (B.A.) (1993)
Speaker, Contracting Risk Under IPR, Canadian Waste-to-Resource Conference, Canada, 2017
Speaker, North America's First Independent Producer Responsibility Framework - Challenges and Opportunities, Waste to Resources 2017 VII International Symposium, Cuvillier Verlag Gottingen, Germany, 2017
Author, Encyclopedia of Environmental Law (Chemicals chapter), Edward Elgar Publishing Co., United States, 2018
Author, "The 'Transparency Pledge' at the Crossroads of Human Rights and Sustainability," Compliance and Risks, Ireland, 2017
Author, The Environment and Climate Change Law Review (Canada chapter), The Law Reviews, United Kingdom 2017