Representative Legal Matters
Advised and counseled on environmental compliance issues for resource, energy, manufacturing and other production facilities, including matters involving air emissions, water discharges, the management, transportation and disposal of waste, and occupational health and safety obligations across Canada.
Managed environmental liabilities under provincial/territorial and federal statutory and tort law, including purchase, sale, lease, project development and exit matters.
Prepared product safety notifications, recalls and other negotiated resolutions with Health Canada, including those under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act.
Advised on Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act matters, including import, safety documentation, labeling and transit requirements.
Counseled on Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System compliance, including Globally Harmonized System implementation and related Hazardous Products Act requirements.
Assisted with product certification/labelling, including under the Canada Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act.
Designed and implemented environmental compliance programs, sustainability policies and corporate audit initiatives.
Advised and represented importers and retailers on waste diversion and extended producer responsibility obligations under a myriad of provincial and territorial programs, including waste electronics and electrical equipment, on and off-road tires, used oils, paints, batteries, printed paper and packaging, and other municipal hazard/special waste streams.
Made strategic voluntary disclosures and negotiated compliance agreements under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act and provincial/territorial equivalents for new substances, notified chemicals, toxic substances and other regulated materials.
Defended resource development, energy and industrial operations in government enforcement actions under federal/provincial/territorial environmental protection acts and related environmental quality statutes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Canadian Bar Association Ontario, Environmental Law Section - Member
- International Bar Association, Environmental Health and Safety - Member
- International Bar Association - Sustainability Officer
- Ontario Textile Diversion Collaborative - Member
- Ontario Waste Management Association, Resource Recovery / Energy-from-Waste – Member
- Consortium of Researchers for International Collaboration - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1998)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (LL.B.) (1996)
- University of Western Ontario (B.A.) (1993)
- Co-speaker, "Urban Waste Management: What Africa is Doing", International Bar Association's African Regional Conference on the Environment, Cape Town, South Africa, November, 2018
- Co-speaker, "Sustainability is Here to Stay – How can Technology Help Achieve your Goals?", Baker McKenzie Panel, New York Luxury Law Summit, New York, United States, November, 2018
- Speaker, "Supply Chains to Waste Diversion: Global Progress Towards a Circular Economy and Emerging Topics", Baker & McKenzie International Environmental Converence, Chicago, United States, June 2018
- Co-speaker, "Sustainability: What's Driving the Agenda and How Can Your Business Evolve to Meet and Stay Ahead of Demand?" - Luxury Law Summit, London, United Kingdom, 2018
- Speaker, "North America's First Circular Economy WEEE Law - Strategies for Compliance", Webinar hosted by Compliance & Risks, April 18, 2018