Tim Cochrane is an associate in the Firm’s North American Litigation group in New York. He is a New Zealand Barrister and Solicitor, and is also licensed to practice in New York and England and Wales.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie’s New York office, Tim spent two years in the Firm’s Dispute Resolution team in London. He worked on cross-border UK Bribery Act and corruption investigations, as well as large-scale commercial fraud litigation and arbitration.
From 2010 until mid-2014 Tim worked at one of New Zealand's largest law firms, focusing on commercial litigation and regulatory matters, including anti-bribery matters. He gained significant trial and appellate experience in the NZ High Court, Court of Appeal, and administrative tribunals.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a global logistics company in a multi-party civil fraud claim.
- Represented a UK multinational in a SFO / DOJ criminal investigation.
- Represented a pharmaceutical executive in a DOJ antitrust investigation and an executive of a global pharmaceutical company in a DOJ / SEC FCPA investigation.
- Represented a global financial services company in an internal FCPA / UK Bribery Act investigation in Asia.
- Represented a global multinational in an internal investigation into potential FCPA allegations in Africa.
- Represented a financial services company in a regulatory investigation into whether the sale of a complex debt security to the public breached consumer protection laws.
- Represented company in a post-M&A contract dispute relating to calculation of working capital adjustment amount.
- Represented individual media personality in inquiry into alleged political misconduct.
- Represented a government agency defending civil litigation and threatened BIT claim brought for termination of transport industry contract.
- Represented company and individual seeking removal of fraud dispute to SIAC arbitration.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Zealand Law Society
- New York State Bar Association
- Law Society of England and Wales
- The American Society of International Law
- International Bar Association
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2018)
- New York~United States (2016)
- New Zealand (inactive) (2010)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (LLM Distinction) (2015)
- University of Otago (BA Philosophy, Politics and Economics First Class Honours) (2010)
- University of Otago (LLB) (2010)
Author, “Going for Gold—New Zealand High Court Considers “Fair Dealing” of Olympic Footage Online,” Entertainment Law Review, March 2017
Co-author, “Setting Aside Arbitral Awards on the basis of Bribery or Corruption: Is the “Taint” of Bribery Sufficient?,” Global Arbitration Blog, 9 October 2016
Co-author, “Renewed Aim: Criminal Finances and Transparency,” Fraud Intelligence, 5 December 2016