Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Stephen handled the following matters:
- Provided commercial support to a Japanese trading company and an international corporation in connection with the development of a major coal IPP in Bangladesh.
- While based in London, advised a major Japanese trading company and investment business conglomerate in relation to the initial finance terms for the financing of a solar PV IPP in Abu Dhabi (awarded PFI 2017 Middle East and Africa Power Deal of the Year).
- Advised various financial institutions (ECAs, multilateral financial institutions and commercial lenders) on the project financing and finance restructuring for a major combined cycle gas-fired IPP in Turkey (awarded PFI 2014 Middle East / Africa power deal of the year).
- Provided commercial support to a Japanese trading company in connection with issues relating to a major transport/logistics asset in Brazil.
- Advised the Ministry of Finance of Angola as borrower on behalf of a sovereign state in connection with the financing of multiple domestic infrastructure projects by foreign commercial lenders and ECAs.
- Advised an international mobile telecom service provider on a bridge finance facility in Papua New Guinea.
Oil & Gas
- Provided commercial support to a Japanese trading company in connection with its bid to invest in gas import and distribution infrastructure in Indonesia.
- Advised various financial institutions (ECAs, multilateral financial institutions and commercial lenders) on the financing of a major petrochemicals project in Uzbekistan (awarded PFI 2012 European Petrochemicals Deal of the Year; Infrastructure Journal 2013 Oil & Gas Deal of the Year; Global Finance Deal of the Year: Project Finance (Asia)).
- Advised a multilateral organisation in connection with its potential investment in offshore gas fields off the coast of Mauritania.
- Provided commercial support to a Japanese trading company and its subsidiaries in relation to ongoing open cut coal mine issues in New South Wales, Australia.
- New South Wales~Australia (2008)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice) (2008)
- University of New South Wales (LLB) (2008)
- University of Sydney (Master of International Law) (2006)
Author, "Infrastructure in Vietnam – Needs and Progress," Infrastructure Journal, August 2013
Author, "Issues Facing Infra in Vietnam," Project Finance International Issue 508, July 2013
Coordinator and contributor, "Australian government announces proposed carbon tax framework," PLC Global Finance newsletter, March 2011
Lecturer, "Norton Rose Fulbright Energy Academy: Project Finance," November 2015 / February 2015 / November 2014
Lecturer, "City Law Live: Energy Workshop," December 2014