Peter L. Clark focuses his practice on domestic and international tax law, particularly on corporate and individual income taxation, cross-border transactions, transfer pricing, financing, business structuring, succession planning and domestic and international estate planning. Peter has been recognized as a leading tax law practitioner in the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2020 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Woodward/White).
Peter has considerable experience in mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, IPOs, asset securitizations, investment funds and real estate development and ownership, as well as estate planning for very high net worth families. Peter also advises large employers on source deduction matters and equity compensation plans. He has industry specific experience in a variety of sectors, including real estate, media, pharmaceuticals, electronic commerce, financial services, universities and transportation companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented sovereign investor regarding a cross-border infrastructure project.
- Advised institutional investors on structuring of major real estate acquisitions in Canada.
- Represented a Canadian public company with regard to the creation of a major offshore financing subsidiary for non-Canadian operations.
- Represented a multinational engineering and construction company regarding its participation in private-public projects in Canada.
- Canadian tax advisor to several exchange listed commodity funds.
- Numerous public and private company merger & acquisition transactions. Recent transactions where the transaction value exceeds USD 1 billion include representing the Canadian Vendor of a global services business and representing the non-Canadian Purchaser of a Canada publicly listed mining company.
- Represented international companies in connection with transfer pricing audits in Canada.
- Canadian tax advisor to non-Canadian financial services and trust corporations.
- Represented one of Ontario's largest employers with respect to various taxation matters.
- Designed and implemented a revised Canadian operating model for a multinational corporation.
- Advised various US public companies on implementation in Canada of stock incentive plans.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Canadian Tax Foundation - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1986)
- University of Western Ontario (LL.B.) (1984)
- University of Toronto (B.A.) (1980)
Author, "Canada-US Hybrid Entities: Recent Developments," 2010
Author, "Tax Shelters: Where are we now," 1998
Author, "Taking a Family Business Public," Corp. Mgmt. Tax Conf. 11:1-11:31, 1996
Initial co-author, "CCH Real Estate Income Tax Guide," Don Mills (Ont.), CCH Canadian
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.