Representative Legal Matters
- Represented sovereign investor regarding a cross-border infrastructure project.
- Advised institutional investors on structuring of major real estate acquisitions in Canada.
- Represented a Canadian public company with regard to the creation of a major offshore financing subsidiary for non-Canadian operations.
- Represented a multinational engineering and construction company regarding its participation in private-public projects in Canada.
- Canadian tax advisor to several exchange listed commodity funds.
- Numerous public and private company merger & acquisition transactions. Recent transactions where the transaction value exceeds USD 1 billion include representing the Canadian Vendor of a global services business and representing the non-Canadian Purchaser of a Canada publicly listed mining company.
- Represented international companies in connection with transfer pricing audits in Canada.
- Canadian tax advisor to non-Canadian financial services and trust corporations.
- Represented one of Ontario's largest employers with respect to various taxation matters.
- Designed and implemented a revised Canadian operating model for a multinational corporation.
- Advised various US public companies on implementation in Canada of stock incentive plans.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Canadian Tax Foundation - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1986)
- University of Western Ontario (LL.B.) (1984)
- University of Toronto (B.A.) (1980)
Author, "Canada-US Hybrid Entities: Recent Developments," 2010
Author, "Tax Shelters: Where are we now," 1998
Author, "Taking a Family Business Public," Corp. Mgmt. Tax Conf. 11:1-11:31, 1996
Initial co-author, "CCH Real Estate Income Tax Guide," Don Mills (Ont.), CCH Canadian