David Clanton focuses his practice on antitrust and consumer protection matters, with emphasis on government investigations and related regulatory issues. He is the former chair of Baker McKenzie's Global and North America Antitrust practice groups, and served as a commissioner and acting chairman of the Federal Trade Commission. He is also listed in legal directories, including Washington, DC Super Lawyers and Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers.
David represents clients in complex and high-profile antitrust and consumer protection matters, including multijurisdictional merger and cartel investigations. He has extensive experience in the antitrust review of M&A transactions, including responding to second requests, negotiating settlements and defending clients in litigation. David is also experienced in representing clients in FTC consumer protection matters, including data security investigations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a leading international high-technology group in merger reviews involving multiple transactions, including the sale of its detection system business and its acquisition of aerospace businesses.
- Represented a leading global supplier of recreational equipment in connection with merger control issues relating to its acquisition of an international fitness equipment manufacturer.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in the FTC investigation and consent decree negotiations related to its acquisition of a competitor pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a leading provider of medical waste transportation and treatment services in DOJ investigations and related consent decree negotiations involving several acquisitions.
- Represented a leading US electronic debit network in the DOJ investigation of its acquisition by a competitor.
- Represented clients in DOJ price fixing investigations focused on specialty chemicals, paper products and marine transportation, including the successful negotiation of an amnesty agreement under the DOJ leniency policy for a major chemical producer.
- Represented several software providers in FTC data security investigations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- United States Chamber of Commerce - Member of the Antitrust Council and the International Competition Policy Working Group
- American Bar Association - Section of Antitrust Law
- American Bar Association - Section of International Law
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (1993)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1991)
- District of Columbia~United States (1984)
- Wayne Law School (J.D. Law Review) (1969)
- Andrews University (B.A.) (1966)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.